New Haven, Conn. - Behind four double-digit performances, including a team-high 31 points and 21 rebounds from senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team topped SUNY Canton, 84-72, Tuesday evening in non-conference play on Senior Night.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 84 | SUNY Canton 72
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (19-4, 15-0) | SUNY Canton (7-17)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus jumped out to an early 9-0 lead before the Roos responded with a 10-2 run to get within 11-10 just over seven minutes into the contest. Canton took a 28-26 lead with 5:25 left in the opening half following a Brandon Adkisson jumper. The Falcons closed the half on a 17-4 run to take a 43-32 lead into intermission.
The Roos trimmed the deficit to six early in the second half but Albertus Magnus would extend its lead to as many as 21 before a late Canton run cut the final deficit to 13, 70-57. With 1:47 left to play, SUNY Canton battled to within nine, 79-70, on a three from Jordan Steward, but it wasn't enough as the hosts closed out regulation with a 5-2 run to seal the win.
- At home, the Falcons are 11-1 following tonight's win over the Roos.
- The Falcons are 1-0 against SUNY Canton in the all-time series.
- Freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) collected his first collegiate double-double, 14 points and 10 rebounds.
- Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) double-double is his 15th straight, 20th overall.
- Albertus Magnus set a new season-high in offensive rebounds with 21 and tied its season-best 55 rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 35.1% (field goal), 25.0% (three point) and 64.1% (free throw)
- SUNY Canton - 40.3% (field goal), 21.1% (three point) and 64.3% (free throw)
- This game saw four ties and two lead changes.
- Albertus Magnus held a 55-43 advantage in rebounds.
- Senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) was the next player to score in double-figures for the hosts with 19 points and 10 rebounds, collecting his third double-double of the year.
- Senior Erick Langston (Stratford, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 10 points.
- Jordan Stewart paced the Roos' offense with a team-high 18 points while Andrew Fitch recorded a double-double, 12 points and 13 rebounds.
- The Falcons dominated in the paint, 42-32, as well as posted a 15-8 edge in second chance points.
- SUNY Canton recorded 15 turnovers, compared to the hosts who posted only six.
- This game saw 11 blocks, four for the Roos and nine for the Falcons.
- A quartet of Falcons tallied two blocks apiece.
Albertus Magnus closes out the regular season with a road contest at Johnson & Wales on Saturday, Feb. 17.