Link: Box Score
Providence, R.I. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team suffered its first Great Northeast Athletic Conference loss of the season as the Falcons were defeated by Johnson & Wales, 93-77, Saturday afternoon at the Wildcat Center.
FINAL SCORE: Johnson & Wales 93 | Albertus Magnus 77
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (19-5, 15-1) | Johnson & Wales (16-9, 13-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Johnson & Wales got out to a fast start, establishing a 12-2 lead on a three-pointer from Randall Ferdinand. A pair of free throws put the Wildcats up 22-13 with 11:16 to go in the half, but the Falcons went on a 13-0 run to take a 26-22 lead on a Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) jumper. Jarell Lawson knocked down a free throw with two seconds left to send the two teams into the half tied at 42-42.
Albertus Magnus and Johnson & Wales battled through three ties over the first three minutes until a three-point play from Walters gave the Falcons a five-point cushion, 51-46. Two minutes later, Johnson & Wales battled back tying the game at 53-53 and never looked back, securing the conference win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 40.3% (field goal), 22.7% (three point) and 51.4% (free throw)
- Johnson & Wales - 45.2% (field goal), 21.7% (three point) and 68.8% (free throw)
- This game saw nine ties and seven lead changes.
- Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) led all the players with his 21st double-double of the season with 32 points and 15 rebounds.
- Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) was the only other AMC player in double figures with 10 points.
- For the second time this season, the Wildcats had three players score 20 or more points, led by Jarell Lawson's career-high 28 points to go along with 11 rebounds for his third double-double of the year.
- JWU also had a 50-44 rebounding advantage.
- The Falcons posted a 20-16 edge in points off turnovers while the Wildcats posted a 48-38 advantage in the paint.
- Brian Hogan-Gary followed with 25 points and a game-high 19 rebounds while Randall Ferdinand had 23 points, including 17 in the first half.
- Four different players registered at least a block for the Falcons.
- The Falcons were held to seven points under their scoring average.
Great Northeast Athletic Conference Schedule - The Falcons earn the one seed in the upcoming conference tournament and will face Anna Maria on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, February 20 - Quarterfinals
Game 1: #8 Anna Maria at #1 Albertus Magnus - 7:00 PM
Game 2: #5 Regis (Mass.) at #4 Lasell - 7:00 PM
Game 3: #6 Suffolk at #3 Saint Joseph's Maine - 7:30 PM
Game 4: #7 Norwich at #2 Johnson & Wales - 7:00 PM
Thursday, February 22 - Semifinals
Game 5: 4/5 winner vs 1/8 winner
Game 6: 3/6 winner vs 2/7 winner
Saturday, February 24 - Final
Game 7: Highest remaining seed