Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team netted a team-best 21 points and 19 rebounds to collect his 22nd double-double of the season as the Falcons defeated eighth-seeded Anna Maria College, 87-66, on Tuesday evening at "The Nest". The Falcons will advance to the GNAC Semifinals on Thursday and will play host to fourth-seeded Lasell College.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 87 | Anna Maria 66
RECORDS: #1 Albertus Magnus (19-5) | #8 Anna Maria (10-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus and Anna Maria battled over the first nine minutes of play as the Falcons held a seven-point advantage, 18-11, on a jumper from Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) at the 11:11 mark. Soon after, Albertus Magnus saw its lead double, 30-15, before closing out the half with a 46-17 lead, following a 16-2 run sparked by a layup from Walters.
Despite Anna Maria outshooting the hosts, 49-41, in the second half, the AMCATS were unable to stop the Falcons offensively. Albertus Magnus took its largest lead of the game at 35, 56-21, with 16:13 remaining in regulation and never looked back to secure the home win.
- This is the Falcons 10th-straight GNAC postseason appearance, extending their total to 18 overall.
- The Falcons are the defending GNAC Champions and are going for their seventh conference championship/NCAA berth in nine years.
- Albertus Magnus holds an all-time postseason record of 29-10.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons hold a 4-0 edge over the AMCATS in the postseason.
- Sophomore Hanif Bilal (Winston, Salem, N.C.) posted a career-best 13 points on 5-of-11 shooting from the field and went 3-of-5 from behind the arc.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 50.7% (field goal), 33.3% (three point) and 64.3% (free throw)
- Anna Maria - 45.2% (field goal), 35.3% (three point) and 44.4% (free throw)
- This game saw five lead changes.
- The Falcons out rebounded the AMCATS, 44-33, as well as posted a 10-9 edge in second chance points.
- Albertus Magnus dominated in the paint scoring 54 points compared to Anna Maria who posted 30.
- Liam Pickett paced the AMCATS offense with a team-high 30 points on 12-of-15 shooting from field to go along with three rebounds, an assist, a steal and a block.
- Freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) finished the evening with 12 points, three rebounds, two assists and three steals.
- Junior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) closed out regulation with a 17-point performance.
- The Falcons' bench recorded 26 points.
Following tonight's win, Albertus Magnus advances to the GNAC semifinals and will host rival Lasell College on Thursday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, February 20 - Quarterfinals
Game 1: #8 Anna Maria 66 | #1 Albertus Magnus 87
Game 2: #5 Regis (Mass.) 72| #4 Lasell 88
Game 3: #6 Suffolk 69 | #3 Saint Joseph's Maine 65
Game 4: #7 Norwich 72 | #2 Johnson & Wales 77
Thursday, February 22 - Semifinals
Game 5: #4 Lasell at #1 Albertus Magnus - TBA
Game 6: #6 Suffolk | #2 Johnson & Wales - TBA
Saturday, February 24 - Final
Game 7: Highest remaining seed