Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team advances to its seventh straight Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championship as the Falcons defeated fourth-seeded Lasell College, 97-86, in the semifinals on Thursday at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 97 | Lasell 86
RECORDS: #1 Albertus Magnus (21-5) | #4 Lasell (13-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus controlled the majority of the first half as the Falcons opened the game with the quick 10-point edge, 17-7, just five minutes in. Lasell saw the hosts lead double, 30-15, until a 13-1 run by the Lasers pull the score to within three, 31-28.
Lasell's Stefan Mascriarello tied the game up at 33-33 on a made jumper at the 5:52 mark, but Albertus Magnus answered back with 14 unanswered points to make the score 47-33. Lasell kept battling and outscored the hosts 8-2 in the final two minutes and cut the deficit to 49-41 at the half.
Albertus Magnus extended its lead to 11, 61-50, five minutes into the second, but Lasell would not go away quietly, scoring 10 of the next 11 points to pull to within two, 62-60, with 13 minutes to play.
With the game tied at 68-all, Albertus Magnus would put together a short spurt and would hold an 11-point lead, 88-77, with 2:56 remaining in regulation. The Lasers got back to within six, 90-84, but the Falcons were able to seal the win closing out the game with a 7-2 run.
- This is the Falcons 10th-straight GNAC postseason appearance, extending their total to 17 overall.
- The Falcons are the defending GNAC Champions and are going for their seventh conference championship/NCAA berth in nine years.
- Albertus Magnus holds an all-time postseason record of 30-10.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons are 5-0 against the Lasers in the postseason all-time series.
- The hosts sealed the win by making 5-of-6 free throws in the final minute and capped it off with a break-a-way dunk by Walters with 24 seconds remaining.
- Senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) posted a career-high 14 rebounds to go along with 21 points, an assist and a steal. This was also Maddred's fourth double-double of the season.
- Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) posted a career-best 32 points, including a season-high seven three's.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 46.5% (field goal), 45.5% (three point) and 75% (free throw)
- Lasell - 45.6% (field goal), 36% (three point) and 83.3% (free throw)
- This game saw three ties and a lead change.
- Senior Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) netted his seventh 30-point performance as well as posted his 23rd double-double of the season, finishing the night with 31 points, 16 rebounds, three assists, a steal and a block.
- Sophomore Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 points, two rebounds, seven assists and a steal.
- Albertus Magnus dominated on the glass posting 47 rebounds compared to the Lasers who collected 35.
- Both teams had 13 turnovers while the Falcons posted a 17-15 edge in points off those errors.
- The Falcons held a 44-35 advantage in the paint.
- Lasell had five players score in double-figures, including a team-high 24 points from Stefan Masciarelli who posted 24 on 10-of-24 shooting from the floor.
- Scott Arsenault led the Lasers behind the arc netting five three's.
Following tonight's win, Albertus Magnus advances to the GNAC Championship and will host league rival and second-seeded Johnson & Wales on Saturday, Feb. 24th at 1 p.m.
Tuesday, February 20 - Quarterfinals
Game 1: #8 Anna Maria 66 | #1 Albertus Magnus 87
Game 2: #5 Regis (Mass.) 72| #4 Lasell 88
Game 3: #6 Suffolk 69 | #3 Saint Joseph's Maine 65
Game 4: #7 Norwich 72 | #2 Johnson & Wales 77
Thursday, February 22 - Semifinals
Game 5: #4 Lasell 86 | #1 Albertus Magnus 97
Game 6: #6 Suffolk 74 | #2 Johnson & Wales 80
Saturday, February 24 - Final
Game 7: #1 Albertus Magnus vs. #2 Johnson & Wale - 1 p.m.