Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team fell to second-seeded Johnson & Wales, 84-80, in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championship on Saturday afternoon at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
With the set back, the Falcons close out the 2017-18 season with an overall record of 21-6. The Wildcats improve to 19-9 on the year and enter the NCAA Tournament riding a six-game winning streak.
FINAL SCORE: Johnson & Wales 84 | Albertus Magnus 80
RECORDS: #1 Albertus Magnus (21-6) | #2 Johnson & Wales (19-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus held a four-point lead, 8-4, three minutes in before Johnson & Wales put together a 10-4 run to take the lead, 14-12, with 13:59 remaining in the first. Four minutes later, the Wildcats found themselves up five, 24-19, on a jumper from Matt Madoian, but the Falcons answered back tying the game up at 30-all at the 6:57 mark, following a made basket from freshman Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.).
The Falcons would head into the locker room up one, 40-39, against the Wilcats after closing out the first with a 10-9 run.
Albertus Magnus led by as many as nine, 59-50, on a Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) free throw with 12:31 to play. The Wildcats clawed their way back and took a 67-66 advantage on a three-pointer from Jarell Lawson at the 6:24 mark.
Sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) put the Falcons up 76-72 with three minutes left. Johnson & Wales came up with a pair of defensive stops and got a layup from Nate Patenaude as well as a Lawson three-pointer to take a one-point lead, 77-76, with a minute remaining.
The Wildcats knocked down seven free throws to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus - 42.9% (field goal), 30% (three point) and 53.8% (free throw)
- Johnson & Wales - 40% (field goal), 42.1% (three point) and 64.9% (free throw)
- Three Falcons score in double-figures, led by sophomore guard Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) with 24 points on 9-of-16 shooting from the field and 3-of-8 from behind the arc.
- Senior forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) concluded the game collecting his 24th double-double, 22 points and a career-high 25 rebounds, to go along with three assists and a steal.
- Senior Amir Maddred (Camden, N.J.) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 10 points.
- All five starters of Johnson & Wales scored in double-figures, including a team-high 25-points from Jarell Lawson.
- This game saw eight ties and 12 lead changes.
- The Falcons held a two-rebound margin, 47-45, over the Wildcats.
- Albertus Magnus dominated in the paint scoring 49, compared to the visitors who netted 29.
- Johnson & Wales was unable to stop the Falcons on second chance points as the hosts posted an 18-7 advantage.
- Sophomore Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) led the defensive unit for Albertus Magnus with a team-high three blocks.
- Albertus Magnus and Johnson & Wales had a combined 11 blocks, six of which were from the Wildcats.