Link: Box Score
Paxton, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team opened the 2018-19 season with an 80-72 road win over Anna Maria College on Thursday evening in non-conference action.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 80 | Anna Maria College 72
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (1-0) | Anna Maria College (0-1)
ALL-TIME RECORD: Albertus leads the all-time series, 13-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria and Albertus battled through four ties and eight lead changes over the first nine minutes of play.
- Albertus took over on offense shortly after pushing its lead to five, 23-18, but Anna Maria found themselves down one, 23-22, following a 4-0 spurt.
- The Falcons biggest lead of the half came at the 3:30 mark as a made free throw from Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) put the visitors up by 11, 40-29.
- Anna Maria closed out the first with a 5-1 run to cut the Falcons' lead to seven, 41-34.
- Anna Maria brought the score to within four, 43-39, to start off the half.
- Albertus pushed its lead back up to nine, 51-42, following a layup from Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.).
- Over the next three minutes, Albertus maintained its nine-point, 54-45, lead until a three from Perkins sparked a 9-3 run extending the visitors' lead to 15, 63-48.
- The momentum of the game began to shift as the AMCATS battled to within six, 73-67, after rattling off a 19-10 run, forcing Albertus to call a timeout.
- With less than a minute to play, Anna Maria continued to fight and a layup from Mike Rapoza brought the hosts to within five, 77-72.
- Freshman Keithantonio Davis (Vorhees, N.J.) and senior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) put the game out of reach for the AMCATS after making three straight free throws, 80-72.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.): 20 points (7-19 FG, 1-5 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Ryan Pittman: 19 points (5-10 FG, 0-1 3PT, 9-10 FT) | 5 rebounds | 5 assists (team-high) | 6 steals (team-high)
- Tyreek Perkins: 10 points (4-8 FG, 2-3 3PT, 0-1 FT) | 2 rebounds
- Keyaire Martin (Bloomfield, N.J.): 7 rebounds (team-high) | 5 points | 3 steals | 1 block
- Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.): 7 rebounds (team-high) | 4 points
- Bobby Perette: 18 points (6-15 FG, 5-10 3PT, 1-3 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Mike Rapoza: 15 points (4-7 FG, 7-11 FT) | 10 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 block
- Anthony Buckley: 14 points (5-8 FG, 4-6 3PT) | 3 rebounds
- Sidney Limage: 16 rebounds (team-high) | 7 points | 1 assist | 2 stelas | 4 blocks (team-high)
- Chris Contento: 10 assists (team-high) | 6 points | 1 rebound | 1 steal
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus - 38.5% field goal | 26.7% 3-point | 76.5% free-throw
- Anna Maria - 35.8% field goal | 46.2% 3-point| 68.8% free-throw
- The AMCATS held the advantage in rebounds, 48-39.
- Albertus scored 30 of its points off the AMCATS' 32 turnovers.
- The Falcons' bench scored 24 points.
- Albertus won the battle in the paint, 32-10.
The men's basketball team returns to action on Tuesday, November 13 as the Falcons take on WPI in a non-conference showdown beginning at 7 p.m.