Link: Box Score
New London, N.H. - Behind a pair of double-doubles from freshmen Michael Richardson (Bronx, N.Y.) and Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) as well as a team-high 22 points from Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team defeated league newcomer Colby Sawyer, 84-81, Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 84 | Colby Sawyer College 81
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (11-5, 3-1) | Colby Sawyer (9-8, 3-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Colby Sawyer came out of the gate hot scoring nine unanswered points to take the early lead, 9-0, three minutes in.
- Freshman Terry Dawkins (Queens, N.Y.) broke the Falcons' silence at the 16:51 mark with a made layup.
- The Chargers continued to score as the hosts extended their lead to double-digits, 13-2, but Albertus battled back to within two, 16-14, after putting together a 12-3 run.
- Albertus continued to chip away at the Chargers' lead and found themselves down one, 22-21, thanks to a made basket from Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.).
- Colby Sawyer maintained its lead until a short spurt by the Falcons evened the score at 35-35.
- The score flip-flopped for the last two minutes of the half and ended at 40-40.
- It was an offensive battle in the second as both teams battled through five ties over 14 minutes of play.
- Following the final tie at the 6:31 mark, Albertus Magnus would remain ahead for the remainder of the game before securing the road win.
- Colby Sawyer battled back to within one on two occassions, but was unable to regain the lead.
- Davon Warner – 22 Points (8-17 FG, 6-13 3PT) | 6 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Michael Richardson – 13 points (6-13 FG, 1-4 FT) | 11 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) – 11 Points (4-10 FG, 3-7 3PT) | 4 assists | 2 steals
- Andrew Rice – 10 points (3-4 FG, 4-7 FT) | 11 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Patrick Coffey – 25 Points | 2 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Dana Bean – 16 Points | 7 rebounds | 1 steal | 1 block
- Jourdain Bell – 15 Points | 5 rebounds | 3 assists | 3 steals
- Nick Backer – 14 Points | 1 rebound | 1 assist | 1 steal
Albertus continues GNAC play on Saturday, January 26 as the Falcons travel to Boston, Mass. to take on Emmanuel (Mass.) College. Tip-off is set for 1 pm.