Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. - Led behind a 20-point performance from sophomore Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) as well as a team-high four blocks from junior Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team held off GNAC rival Johnson & Wales University, 89-85, Wednesday evening at "The Nest" inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus College 89 | Johnson & Wales 85
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-7, 8-2) | Johnson & Wales (12-12, 7-3)
ALL-TIME SERIES: Albertus extends its all-time series record to 30-24 against Johnson & Wales.
- With today's win, Coach Oliver is just three wins shy of winning his 250th career win.
- This game saw eight lead changes and only one tie.
- Albertus set a new season-high in blocks with nine.
- The Falcons shot 48.3 percent overall, including 52.8 percent in opening 20 minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons came out hot scoring four quick points just 40 seconds in to take the early lead.
- JWU countered back taking a 5-4 lead before finding themselves up 10-6 on a deep three from Matt Madoian.
- The Falcons and Wildcats battled back-and-fourth until a jumper from Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) sparked a 9-3 run that saw the hosts' lead grow to seven, 24-17.
- JWU threatened Albertus at the 9:02 mark cutting the lead to within three, 26-23.
- The Falcons found themselves up nine, 40-31, following a pair of free throw from Perkins with 4:15 remaining, but JWU would close out the half with an 11-8 run, cutting the hosts' lead to within six, 48-42, at the half.
- The Falcons built a 70-60 lead midway through the second half.
- Johnson & Wales worked the lead down to 73-72 on a pair of Justin Bullock free throws with 6:17 remaining.
- The Wildcats had a chance to tie or take the lead in the closing seconds.
- After a Perkins free throw with 19 seconds left, Bullock missed a layup and Matt Madoian grabbed an offensive rebound, but couldn't hit a go-ahead three-pointer.
- Freshman Rayshawn Brewer (New Haven, Conn.) sealed the win for the Falcons hitting two free throws with seven seconds left to play.
- Tyreek Perkins – 20 Points (4-9 FG, 1-4 3PT, 11-12 FT) | 1 rebound | 5 assists | 1 steal
- Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) – 17 Points (6-12 FG, 5-9 3PT, 0-1 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) – 12 points (4-10 FG, 0-2 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 4 rebounds | 1 block
- Rayshawn Brewer – 11 Points (4-5 FG, 3-5 FT) | 7 rebounds | 1 steal | 1 block
- Andrew Rice (New Haven, Conn.) – 10 points (4-6 FG, 0-1 3PT, 2-3 FT) | 9 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 blocks
Johnson & Wales:
- Brian Hogan-Gary – 27 Points | 19 rebounds | 3 assists
- Justin Bullock – 17 Points | 3 rebounds
- Matt Madoian – 11 points | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Randall Ferdinand – 10 points | 1 rebound | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Donovian Maxfield – 10 points | 4 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
Albertus concludes the regular season on Saturday, Feb. 16 as the Falcons host Suffolk University at 3pm on Senior Day.
Prior to the start of the game, the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team will honor its lone senior Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) for his work on the court and in the classroom.