Frederick, Md. - Behind six double-digit performances, including a team-high 15 points from junior Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team earned its first win of the 2019-20 season with an 112-62 victory over Southern Virginia University in the consolation game of the MMI Tip-off Tournament, hosted by Hood College, on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 112 | Southern Virginia University 62
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-1) | Southern Virginia (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons came out firing on all cylinders and held an 18-0 lead six minutes into regulation. Southern Virginia's Jamier Cross snapped the scoreless drought at the 13:24 mark on a made layup bringing the score to 18-2.
Midway through, Albertus found themselves up 32-3 following a pair of made free throws from Marquan Watson (Waterbury, Conn.). The Knight's chipped away at the double-digit lead and trailed 59-17 at the half.
The Falcons controlled the tempo throughout the second half and never relinquished their lead securing the non-conference win. Albertus led as many as 52 points, 112-60, with less than a minute remaining in regulation.
- Albertus shot light out, knocking down 53.1% of its shots from the field, while holding the Knights to just 34.6% shooting.
- One difference in the game was the three point shooting, as Albertus hit 11-of-24, while Southern Virginia converted just 1-of-14 from beyond the arc.
- Albertus finished the contest with 37 points off of 35 Knight turnovers.
- The Falcons tallied 58 points in the paint and 17 fastbreak points.
- Both teams finished with 11 second chance points.
- This was the first meeting between the two teams.
- Albertus closed out opening weekend with an overall record of 1-1.
- Head Coach Mitch Oliver earned his 252nd career win after taking over the program in 2007.
- Today's 112-point performance was the program's 52nd game scoring 100 or more points.
- Tyreek Perkins - 15 points (6-9 FG, 3-4 3pt, 0-1 FT) | 1 rebound
- Isaiah Lewis - 14 points (5-6 FG, 2-3 3pt, 2-4 FT) | 2 rebounds
- Rob Tindley (Lawnside, N.J.) - 11 points (5-5 FG, 1-1 3pt, 0-2 FT) | 1 rebound | 2 steals | 1 block
- Marquan Watson - 11 points (4-8 FG, 3-4 FT) | 8 rebound | 1 steal
- Robby Simmons (Hartford, Conn.) - 11 points (4-7 FG, 0-3 3pt, 3-5 FT) | 5 rebounds | 2 steals
- Davon Warner - 10 points (4-8 FG, 2-6 3pt) | 2 assists | 1 block
- Jamier Cross - 15 points (5-11 FG, 0-2 3pt, 5-7 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal
- Brycen Harris - 14 points (4-7 FG, 6-10 FT) | 6 rebounds | 2 steals
MMI TIP-OFF ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
- Mason Wang - MVP
- Tyler Evans
- TC Thacker
- Tharon Suggs
- Ricky Stafford
The men's basketball team returns home to New Haven, Conn. to host Lesley University in its home opener on Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 7:00PM.