Keene, N.H. - With less than two seconds remaining in regulation, senior guard Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) scored the game-winning basket to lift the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team to an 83-81 victory over Keene State on Tuesday evening in a non-conference showdown at Spaulding Gymnasium.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 83 | Keene State 81
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-1) | Keene State (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus controlled the opening five minutes of play with a 15-7 lead behind 10-points from Green-Younger. However, the Falcons' lead didn't last long as the Owls pulled within two, 17-15, following an 8-2 run that was sparked by a deep three from Edwin Ezedonmwen.
With the score evened at 23-23, Albertus went on a 14-2 run that pushed the visitors ahead by 12, 37-25, with 4:53 left to go in the first.
Keene State had to play catch-up and managed to trim six-points off the Falcons cushion to head into the locker room down six, 44-38.
Albertus opened the second half with the early eight-point lead, 53-45, but the momentum of the game began to shift towards the hosts. Keene State rattled off a 12-4 run that evened the game at 57-57 before the Owls took their largest lead of the game, 72-64, on a made layup from James Anozie with less than 10 minutes remaining.
With the clock winding down, Albertus never gave in and managed to regain the lead, 76-75, at the 2:52 mark following a made basket from senior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.).
Green-Younger responded for the Falcons with his third three-pointer of the evening to cut the deficit to one, 80-79, before a pair of made free throws from Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) with 37 seconds left to play put a point between the foes.
Keene continued to keep things interesting as DeVon Beasley tied the game for a final time at 81 with 16 seconds on the clock before Green-Younger's heroics paid off as time expired.
- Albertus Magnus - 37.7% FG | 22.2% 3PT | 81.8% FT
- Keene St. - 50.9% FG | 39.1% 3PT | 61.5% FT
- The Owls outshot the Falcons 43-39 in the second half.
- Albertus won the battle on the boards, 42-35, as well as held a 23-9 edge in second chance points.
- Both team's benches scored over 40 points.
- Albertus and Keene State each scored 38 points in the paint.
- This game saw six ties and six lead changes.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger - 25 points (9-13 FG, 3-6 3PT, 4-5 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Terry Dawkins - 12 points (4-6 FG, 4-5 FT) | 3 rebounds
- Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) - 8 points (3-7 FG, 1-1 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 7 rebounds | 1 assist
- Damian Grant - 8 points (3-10 FG, 2-3 FT) | 7 rebounds | 1 steal
- James Anozie - 18 points (7-13 FG, 4-8 FT) | 10 rebounds
- Marcus McCarthy - 16 points (5-10 FG, 0-2 3PT, 6-7 FT) | 2 rebounds | 5 assists | 1 steal | 1 block
- DeVon Beasley - 17 points (6-10 FG, 3-7 3PT, 2-4 FT) | 2 rebounds | 3 assists
- Nick Redden - 14 points (5-9 FG, 4-8 3PT) | 6 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Albertus: None
- Keene St.: James Anozie (18 points, 10 rebounds)
- This is the third meeting between the two programs.
- The Falcons earn their first program win and are now 1-2 all-time against the Owls.
- Following tonight's win, head coach Mitch Oliver earned his 255th career win.
- Albertus is currently on a four-game winning streak.
- Albertus tied its season-high in blocks with five.
- Green-Younger recorded a new season-high in points with 25.
- Dawkins posted his second straight double-digit performance.
- Senior Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) led the defensive unit with a season-best three blocks.
The men's basketball team returns to action on Sun., Dec. 1 with a home non-conference game against Williams College. Tip-off is set for 2PM in New Haven, Conn.