New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team extended its winning streak to five games as the Falcons defeated Williams College, 76-63, in a non-conference showdown on Sunday afternoon inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center. Following today's win, the Falcons are undefeated at home, 3-0.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 76 | Williams College 63
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (5-1) | Williams College (4-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons jumped out to a 7-1 lead after scoring on their first three possessions. Both offenses struggled early on, and at the midway point in the first half, the Falcons led 18-11.
Senior Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) hit a deep three-pointer to hand the Falcons a nine-point lead with 8:30 left to play in the first. Two more baskets from the Falcons extended their lead to 13, 25-12, and prompted Williams to call a timeout to re-group.
The Ephs came out of the short break cutting the deficit to single digits, 28-20, but the Falcons would take control for the remainder of the half, opening up a 42-29 lead at the break.
Albertus played extremely solid coming out of the locker room, and took a 22-point lead following a made jumper from Green-Younger. The senior's basket at the 10:44 mark was the Falcons' largest lead of the game.
Williams chipped away at the 20-point lead and cut the deficit to within 14, with the Falcons up 68-54 with 6:44 left. After the Falcons regained a 17-point lead thanks to a Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) three-pointer, Alex Stoddard responded with his second trey of the game. The Ephs then took a timeout down 73-59 with 4:12 to go.
The Falcons did not let their double-digit lead slip, and took home a 13-point win for their fifth consecutive victory.
- Albertus Magnus - 37.7% FG | 22.2% 3PT | 81.8% FT
- Williams - 31.8% FG | 14.8% 3PT | 58.6% FT
- Both teams recorded 42 rebounds, 10 assists and six fastbreak points each.
- The Ephs finished the contest with 14 points off of 12 Falcon turnovers.
- The Falcons won the battle in the paint, 34-32, but Williams won the battle in second chance points, 19-13.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger - 22 points (8-18 FG, 4-9 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 3 rebounds | 5 assists | 1 steal
- Davon Warner - 16 points (6-13 FG, 4-11 3PT) | 4 rebounds | 2 steals
- Keithantonio Davis (Vorhees, N.J.) - 10 points (5-6 FG, 0-2 FT) | 3 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) - 7 points (3-4 FG, 1-4 FT) | 6 rebounds | 1 steal | 4 blocks
- Alex Stoddard - 15 points (6-19 FG, 2-13 3PT, 1-3 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist
- Cole Prowitt-Smith - 14 points (3-10 FG, 0-3 3PT, 8-8 FT) | 7 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Matt Karpowicz - 8 points (2-8 FG, 1-5 3PT, 2-4 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 3 blocks
- This is the third meeting between Albertus and Williams.
- Albertus earned his first program win against the Ephs and is now 1-2 all-time.
- The Falcons recorded a season-high in defensive rebounds (33) and blocks (6).
- Perryman set a new season-high in blocks with four.
- Davis tied his career-point in points with 10.
- Warner netted a season-high 16 points as well as posted a season-high four three-pointers.
The men's basketball team returns to action on Wed. Dec. 4 with a road non-conference game against Mitchell College. Tip-off is set for 6PM in New London, Conn.