New Haven, Conn. – Behind four double-digit performances, including a team-high 23 points from sophomore Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team extended its winning streak to six games as the Falcons held off George Fox University, 97-82, Friday evening in a non-conference showdown inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 97 | George Fox 82
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-1) | George Fox (4-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
George Fox used the first six minutes of play to build a 10-7 advantage. The run from the Bruins featured four points from JD Ahlstrom and Kalu Strickland.
A three-pointer from Warner evened the game at 14-14 as well as sparked an 11-4 run, pushing the Falcons' lead to 25-18. The Bruins managed to battled back to within three, 29-26, following a three from Levi Dalzell, but the hosts countered back pushing its lead to double-digits, 40-30, with 2:47 left in the first.
George Fox had to play catchup and trailed 44-34 at the half.
Albertus slowly built a 17-point lead deficit over the first four minutes of the second stanza.
George Fox heated up after the 15 minute mark and put together a 20-6 scoring run to slash the Falcons' lead to just six points with 10 minutes remaining in regulation.
Another scoring spurt by the hosts pushed the lead back up to 15, 73-58, with 7:25 left to play.
It was all clock composure from there for Albertus who held off any late rallies from the Bruins to secure the home victory.
- Albertus Magnus - 45.8% FG | 28.6% 3PT | 73.5% FT
- George Fox - 42.5% FG | 25.9% 3PT | 81.3% FT
- Both teams scored 17 points off turnovers.
- The Falcons dominated in the paint, outscoring the visitors 52-36.
- Albertus won the battle on the boards, 53-33.
- Both teams had 19 turnovers.
- This game saw two ties and five lead changes.
- Davon Warner - 23 points (9-18 FG, 5-11 3PT) | 8 rebounds | 1 steal
- Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) - 19 points (8-14 FG, 0-2 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 7 rebounds | 3 assists | 2 steals
- Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) - 18 points (6-10 FG, 1-1 3PT, 5-8 FT) | 7 rebounds | 2 assists | 4 steals | 3 blocks
- Isaiah Lewis (New Haven, Conn.) - 13 points (4-9 FG, 0-2 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 5 rebounds | 2 assists
- Jackson Januik - 22 points (8-13 FG, 4-7 3PT, 2-4 FT) | 6 Rebounds | 3 assists | 2 blocks
- Ryan Lacey - 15 points (6-15 FG, 0-3 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Kalu Stricklin - 13 points (6-12 FG, 1-2 3PT) | 1 rebound | 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Albertus: None
- George Fox: None
- This is the first meeting between the two teams.
- Albertus recorded a season-high in total rebounds (53) and blocks (8).
- Warner set a new season-high in points with 23.
- Rice led the offensive unit with a season-high 3 blocks while freshman Justice Washington (Hamden, Conn.) collected two of his own.
- Freshman Marquan Watson (Waterbury, Conn.) led the hosts in rebounds with a season-best 12.
- Freshman Robby Simmons (Hartford, Conn.) appeared in his fourth game for the Falcons and tallied five points behind 100% shooting from the field and free throw line.
The men's basketball team returns to action tomorrow (Dec. 7) with a home non-conference game against WPI. Tip-off is set for 5 PM in New Haven, Conn.