New Haven, Conn. – Junior Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) dropped a team-high 21 points while sophomore Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) added 17 points as the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team defeated No. 22 WPI, 71-60, in a non-conference tilt Saturday evening inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 71 | #22 WPI 60
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (8-1) | #22 WPI (8-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Engineers enjoyed an early 11-7 lead following a triple from Kahleb Downing five minutes into the game. WPI used a 5-1 run to push its lead to eight, 16-8, with 9:30 showing on the scoreboard.
Perkins began a 6-0 run for the hosts, 22 seconds later, to cut the deficit to two, 16-14, but WPI remained in control and maintained the lead over the next three minutes of play.
With less than five minutes to go in the first, Albertus found its rhythm and took its fourth lead of the game, 24-23, thanks to a made jumper from Perkins.
WPI was unable to score against the Falcons and trailed 34-23 at the half. Albertus closed out the first with a 10-0 run behind six points from Marquan Watson (Waterbury, Conn.).
Albertus maintained a 20-point lead for the majority of the second half. WPI managed to cut the lead in half, 57-45, with 6:37 remaining following a layup from Logan O'Donnell.
The Engineers continued to fight back as a pair of free throws from Garrett Stephenson and a three from John Lowther made it an eight-point game, 61-53, with 2:49 left in regulation. However, Albertus pushed its lead back-up to double-digits and concluded the night knocking off No. 22 WPI by a score of 71-60 to remain undefeated at home.
- Albertus Magnus - 37.7% FG | 27.3% 3PT | 79.2% FT
- WPI - 31.1% FG | 32.1% 3PT | 92.9% FT
- The Falcons won the battle on the boards, 45-39.
- The Engineers held a 12-11 edge in second chance points.
- WPI finished the contest with 19 points off of 13 Falcon turnovers.
- Albertus scored 26 of its 71 points in the paint.
- Tyreek Perkins - 21 points (6-10 FG, 3-6 3PT, 6-6 FT) | 5 rebounds | 1 assist
- Terry Dawkins - 17 points (6-12 FG, 0-1 3PT, 5-6 FT) | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 block
- Isaiah Lewis (New Haven, Conn.) - 9 points (3-5 FG, 1-3 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Reid Walker - 14 points (5-11 FG, 0-2 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 4 rebounds | 4 assists | 1 steal | 1 block
- Jake Needleman - 9 points (3-7 FG, 3-3 3PT) | 1 rebound | 1 assist
- Albertus: None
- WPI: None
- This is the fourth meeting between the two programs.
- Following tonight's win, Albertus evens the all-time series record at 2-2.
- The Falcons are 2-0 all-time against the Engineers at home.
- Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) finished the game with a team-high 10 rebounds behind seven defensive and three offensive rebounds, respectively.
- Freshman Justice Washington (Hamden, Conn.) led the defensive unit with two blocks to go along with three rebounds, a steal and an assist.
- This game saw four lead changes.
The men's basketball team returns to action on Saturday, Dec. 14 with a home non-conference game against St. Lawrence. Tip-off is set for 1PM in New Haven, Conn.