York, Penn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team overcame a nine-point deficit and played its way through 15 lead changes and 10 ties for an edge on your seat 76-73 victory over York (Pa.) College Saturday evening at the Charles Wolf Gymnasium as part of the York Spartan Classic.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 76 | York (Pa.) 73
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (10-1) | York (Pa.) (9-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus had to play catch-up early on and did so with back-to-back baskets from Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) to even the game at 5-5. Over the next four minutes, York slowly built its lead to nine, 16-7, after putting together a 9-2 run sparked by a three from Joe Polczynski.
The distance was not enough to hold the Falcons off as they continued to grind and made things interesting after scoring 14-points over a five-minute span with less than nine minutes remaining to cut York's lead to one 22-21.
From there, York and Albertus battled through five lead changes and four ties until the hosts found themselves up two, 40-38, as the teams headed into the locker room.
Out of the break, Albertus saw the deficit grow to as much as nine, 50-41, at the 16:02 mark of the second.
The Falcons continued to put the pressure on and evened the game at 52-52 following an 11-2 run sparked by a layup from Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.). Soon after, a dunk from Andrew Rice (West Haven, Conn.) gave the visitors a one-point edge, 54-52, but York made it a three-point game once more at the 7:11 mark.
With the clock winding down, the Falcons continued their comeback attempt as back-to-back jumpers from Keithantonio Davis (Vorhees, N.J.) and Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) put the visitors ahead 62-59. However, York resumed control offensively and found themselves ahead 72-68 after a pair of made free throws from Jared Wagner with 3:13 remaining.
The Spartans lead was short lived as the Falcons answered back with an 8-1 run to take a 76-73 lead with 23 seconds remaining, forcing York to call a timeout. The hosts had its chance to level the playing field with two seconds left as Jared Wagner took a deep three, but the ball hit the back of the rim and bounced away.
- Albertus Magnus – 48.5% FG | 29.4% 3PT | 58.3% FT
- York (Pa.) - 41.9% FG | 28.1% 3PT | 80.0% FT
- The Falcons held a 39-35 edge in rebounds.
- Both teams had 19 turnovers.
- Albertus scored 17 of its points off turnovers.
- 46 of the Falcons 76 points we scored in the paint.
- Tyreek Perkins - 17 points (7-16 FG, 1-3 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 3 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 steals
- Terry Dawkins - 14 points (5-10 FG, 4-5 FT) | 7 rebounds | 3 steals
- Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) - 14 points (6-11 FG, 2-6 3PT) | 1 rebound | 1 steal | 1 block
- David Giuliani - 19 points (8-15 FG, 2-3 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 12 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal | 1 block
- Jared Wagner - 14 points (3-10 FG, 0-3 3PT, 8-9 FT) | 4 rebounds | 4 assists | 2 steals | 2 blocks
- Darin Gordon - 12 points (5-10 FG, 2-5 3PT) | 6 rebounds | 1 assist | 3 steals | 1 block
- Albertus: None
- York (Pa.): David Giuliani (19 points, 12 rebounds)
- Albertus keeps its winning streak alive and extends the run to 10 games.
- This is the first meeting between the two programs.
- Along with Dawkins, senior Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y) posted a team-high seven rebounds.
- Following tonight's win, Albertus remains undefeated on the road, 3-0.
- Three different players registered a block.
- Dawkins led the visitors in steals with three while Davis and Perkins posted two each.
The men's basketball team closes out the York College Spartan Classic tomorrow, January 5 against Coast Guard Academy. Tip-off is set for 2PM.