New Haven, Conn. - The No. 21 nationally-ranked Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team earned its second straight overtime victory as the Falcons defeated Saint Joseph's College of Maine, 99-93, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) showdown on Saturday afternoon at "The Nest" located inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
Final: Albertus Magnus 99 |Saint Joseph's (ME) 93
Records: Albertus Magnus (14-2, 3-0 GNAC) |Saint Joseph's (ME) (7-10, 1-2 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons struck first in the game, as Jahmerikah-Green Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) scored on a made layup just ten seconds into play. The Monks' were held scoreless until the 17:37 mark, when Jack Casale scored on a lay-up, bringing the score to 4-2.
Green-Younger and Casale traded lay-ups to tie the game at 9, before Griffin Foley put the visitors up 11-9 following a made basket. Casale popped a long 3-pointer, putting the visitors ahead 14-12 at the 13:10 mark, but a free throw from Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) and a lay-up from Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) gave the Falcons a one-point advantage 15-14, with just under ten minutes remaining in the half.
With the clock winding down, Isaiah Lewis (New Haven, Conn.) made an lay-up and Liam Perryman (Pouhgkeepsie, N.Y.) followed with a thunderous dunk to give the Falcons a seven-point lead, 27-20. A three-point play from Green-Younger at the 5:04 mark sparked a 9-2 scoring run that gave the Falcons a nine-point cushion, 37-28, with 2:21 left on the clock.
The Monks' Nicholas Curtis swished a three-point jumper with six seconds remaining, bringing the score at the half to 41-32 in favor of the Falcons.
Casale opened the second stanza scoring the Monks first four points cutting the deficit to five, 41-36. Dawkins responded with a lay-up and a pair of free throws to push the Falcons ahead 45-36. Just under five minutes into the half, Green-Younger and Dawkins added back-to-back jumpers, and Perkins contributed a lay-up to give the Falcons their largest lead of the day, 52-36.
The Monks than went on a 12-2 run, capped by a pair of Casale lay-ups and a Tatsuaki Sakai three-point jumper, to get within six, 54-48. Albertus maintained its lead until a Casale jumper at the 5:25 mark brought the Monks to within one, 65-64.
A few seconds later, Casale exploded for a six-point run, giving the Monks a 70-69 lead with just under four minutes remaining, but the Falcons regained the lead a minute later on a long jumper from Perkins, 72-70.
Trailing by five, Curtis swished another deep trey to cut the deficit to two, 77-75, before Casale netted a lay-up and three more free throws to tie the game at 80 before the second half ended.
Perkins started off overtime with a bang, scoring seven straight points, before Casale drained a pair of free throws to bring the score to 87-82. Green-Younger swished three foul shots, around a Qualon Wilkes (Bridgeport, Conn.) lay-up, to give the Falcons a 92-86 advantage.
Griffin Foley went on a six point run to get the Monks within four, 92-88, with a minute left in overtime. Perkins sealed the win for the Falcons with a terrific slam dunk that put the hosts' ahead, 97-90. Perkins swished his last foul shot of the day, sealing the deal for the Falcons and giving them a 99-93 overtime victory.
- Albertus 43.7% FG | 23.1%3PT| 70.5%FT
- Saint Joseph's (ME) 42.9% FG | 40% 3PT| 77.3% FT
- The Falcons won the battle on the boards, 49-35.
- 44 of the Falcons' 99 points were scored in the paint.
- 37 of the Falcons' 99 points were scored on fastbreak attempts.
- Tyreek Perkins - 32 points (9-18 FG, 3-9 3PT, 11-13 FT) | 6 rebounds | 6 assists | 2 steals | 3 blocks
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger - 24 points (7-16FG, 1-7 3PT, 9-13 FT) | 4 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Terry Dawkins - 12 points (5-9 FG, 2-2 FT) | 4 rebounds | 2 assists | 3 steals
Saint Joseph's (ME):
- Jack Casale - 48 points (15-32 FG, 7-16 3PT, 11-14 FT) |13 rebounds | 2 assists| 1 steal
- Nicholas Curtis - 16 points (5-13 FG, 5-12 3PT, 1-1 FT) |7 rebounds| 1 assist| 1 steal
- Griffin Foley - 16 points (6-12 FG, 2-5 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 2 rebounds| 2 assists| 2 steals |1 block
- Albertus: None
- Saint Joseph's (ME): Jack Casale (48 points, 13 rebounds)
- This is the twenty-fifth meeting all-time between the two teams.
- Following today's win, Albertus is now 16-9 all-time against Saint Joseph's.
- The Falcons remain undefeated at home, 8-0.
- Senior Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) led the Falcons with a season-high 12 rebounds to go along with an assist, a block, and four points.
- Perkins led the defensive unit with a season-best three blocks while four different Falcons posted a block each.
- Dawkins and Perkins shot 100% from the free throw line in the second half.
- Perkins scored 10 of the Falcons' 19 points in overtime.
The men's basketball team continues GNAC play with a home tilt against in-state rival the University of St. Joseph (Conn.) on Wednesday January 29th at 7 PM.