Medford, Mass. - The No. 19 Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team suffered an 81-68 road setback against Suffolk University on Saturday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at Cousens Gymnasium, located on the campus of Tufts University.
Final: Suffolk University 81 | No. 19 Albertus Magnus 68
Records: No. 19 Albertus Magnus (14-4 3-2 GNAC) | Suffolk (10-9, 2-3 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was Suffolk from the get-co as the Rams built up an early eight-point cushion, 10-2, in the first 3:22 minutes, forcing the Falcons to call a timeout.
Out of the break, Albertus battled back to within five, 12-7, following back-to-back baskets from Rob Tindley (Lawnside, N.J.) and Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.), but the Rams countered back with 10 unanswered points to take a commanding 22-7 lead with 12:57 remaining.
Shortly after, a layup from Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) at the 12:34 mark sparked a Falcons' 12-5 scoring run that cut the deficit to within eight, 27-19. The game of runs continued as Suffolk went on a short spurt, outscoring the Falcons 12-2, to bring the score to 39-21 with 5:02 left in the half.
With the clock winding down, Albertus chipped away at the double-digit deficit and trailed by 11, 41-30, at the half.
The Falcons came out of the locker room scoring seven straight points to make it a seven-point game, 44-37, just three minutes in. From there, Suffolk managed to swing the momentum back in its favor and found themselves up 51-39 with 13:42 left to play.
Albertus continued to fight back and brought the score to within four, 59-55, following a jump shot from Keithantonio Davis (Vorhees, N.J.).
With less than seven minutes remaining in regulation, Suffolk made moves by extending its lead to double-digits and putting the game out of reach, despite the Falcons cutting the lead to seven, 70-63, at the 2:57 mark.
- Albertus - 41.3% FG | 27.3% 3PT | 56.5% FT
- Suffolk - 50.9% FG | 35% 3PT | 80% FT
- 12 of the Falcons' points came off of fastbreak shots.
- Albertus outscored the Rams both in the paint, 36-28, and in second chance points, 19-6.
- Keithantonio Davis - 16 points (8-15 FG, 0-1 3PT, 0-1 FT) | 4 rebounds | 2 assists | 5 steals
- Tyreek Perkins - 12 points (4-6 FG, 1-1 3PT, 3-4 FT) | 4 rebounds
- Terry Dawkins - 10 points (2-8 FG, 6-10 FT) | 10 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals
- Nate Hale - 19 points (5-6 FG, 1-1 3PT, 8-8 FT) | 1 rebound
- Jonathan Eng - 11 points (3-8 FG, 1-3 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 2 rebounds | 2 steals
- Alex Jacovides - 16 points (3-4 FG, 3-4 3PT, 1-2 FT) | 3 rebounds
- Albertus: Terry Dawkins (10 points, 10 rebounds)
- This is the 42nd meeting between the two programs.
- Following today's loss, Albertus is now 25-17 all-time against Suffolk.
- Dawkins registered his third double-double of the year.
- Senior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) led the defensive unit with two blocks while also registering seven points, five rebounds, an assist and a steal.
- Senior Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) tallied the Falcons' third and final block of the evening.
- Dawkins posted seven of the Falcons' 19 offensive rebounds.
- Davis led the team not only in blocks, but also in steals and assists.
The men's basketball team continues conference play with a road tilt against Johnson (& Wales University on Tuesday, Feb.4. Tip-off is set for 7PM in Providence, R.I.