Providence, R.I. - Behind a combined 50-points from sophomore Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.), sophomore Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) and senior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team defeated Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) foe Johnson & Wales University by a score of 97-80 on Tuesday evening inside the Wildcat Center.
Final: Albertus Magnus 97 | Johnson & Wales 80
Records: Albertus Magnus (15-4 4-2 GNAC) | Johnson & Wales (10-11, 2-5 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
From a 10-10 tie, Albertus went on a 10-2 scoring run, capped by a thrilling dunk by Grant, to go up 20-12, which forced JWU to call a timeout at the 11:58 mark. Following the break, the Wildcats managed to stop the Falcons' run on a layup from Justin Bullock before a three from Nate Patenude cut the deficit to three, 20-17, midway through the first.
Another JWU scoring drought over the next four minutes allowed Albertus to push their lead to 18, 37-19, following a jump shot from Rob Tindley (Lawnside, N.J.). JWU was unable to slow down the Falcons' offense in the remaining 6:53 and trailed 57-30 at the half.
To open the second stanza, Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) put in the first two points giving the Falcons a 29-point cushion, 59-30, 10 seconds in. Back-to-back baskets from JWU's Patenude kept the Falcons on alert, but the hosts continued to run its offense and led 74-44 following a traditional three-point play from Dawkins.
It was cruise control from there for the Falcons as the visitors led by as many as 35, 81-46, when Dawkins made the layup with 9:48 remaining in regulation.
Over the final eight minutes, JWU continued to chip away at the double-digit deficit, but it was too late for the Wildcats as the Falcons took home the road victory, 97-80.
- Albertus - 41.7% FG | 34.8% 3PT | 79.2% FT
- JWU - 50.9% FG | 35% 3PT | 80% FT
- This game saw five ties and a lead change.
- Albertus won the battle on boards, 52-48, as well as posted a 22-18 edge in second chance points.
- The Falcons scored 44 of their 97 points in the paint.
- Terry Dawkins - 22 points (9-10 FG, 4-5 FT) | 6 rebounds | 1 steal
- Davon Warner - 14 points (5-13 FG, 4-10 3PT) | 6 rebounds | 1 steal
- Damian Grant - 14 points (7-12 FG, 0-1 FT) | 8 rebounds | 2 blocks
- Justin Bullock - 24 points (9-14 FG, 0-2 3PT, 6-6 FT) | 6 rebounds | 2 steals
- Brian Hogan-Gary - 16 points (8-20 FG, 0-1 3PT, 0-1 FT) | 12 rebounds | 2 blocks
- Nate Patenaude - 15 points (4-12 FG, 2-5 3PT, 5-8 FT) | 2 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 3 blocks
- JWU: Brian Hogan-Gary (16 points, 12 rebounds)
- This is the 54th meeting between the two programs.
- The Falcons now bring the all-time series record against the Wildcats to 26-29.
- Albertus snapped a two-game losing streak.
- This is the fifth game the Falcons tallied 50 or more rebounds.
- Albertus recorded a season-low nine turnovers.
- Johnson & Wales outscored Albertus in the second half, 50-40.
- Albertus had 13 different players score at least two points.
- Following tonight's nine-point performance, Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) is now seven-points shy of recording his 1,000th career point.
- Grant led the defensive unit with two blocks while Justice Washington (Hamden, Conn.) tallied the Falcons' third and final block of the game.
The men's basketball team continues conference play on Saturday, Feb. 8 with a road showdown against Rivier University. Tip-off is set for 3PM in Nashua, N.H.