Nashua, N.H. - Sophomore guard Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) scored a career-high 27 points behind a team-best nine three-pointers to help lead the Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team to an 108-94 victory over Rivier University on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at Muldoon Gymnasium.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 108 | Rivier University 94
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (16-4, 5-2 GNAC) | Rivier (3-17, 0-7 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier controlled the opening seven minutes of play as the Raiders held an eight-point cushion, 17-9, following a pair of freebies from Pharaoh Davis.
Warner's first three-pointer of the afternoon sparked an 8-0 Albertus run that leveled the playing field at 17-all. Less than a minute later, Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) scored his second basket of the afternoon giving the Falcons a two-point advantage, 19-17, with 8:54 left on the clock.
Rivier's Issaiah Chappell responded 40 seconds later with a deep three to put the hosts up one, 20-19, but another trey from Warner ignited a 15-3 scoring run that put the Falcons up 13, 35-22.
Rivier chipped away at the double-digit deficit and managed to cut the lead to within eight, 37-29, at the 2:53 minute mark. From there, the Falcons kept the Raiders at bay and led 44-32 at the half.
Out of intermission, the Raiders scored four quick points to trim the margin to single digits, 45-36, but a layup from Isaiah Lewis (New Haven, Conn.) sparked a 7-0 spurt extending the visitors' lead back to 16, 52-36.
Albertus slowly built a 20-point cushion, 70-49, when Warner buried his seventh three-pointer at the 11:26 minute mark. That margin neared 30 with 6:51 left to go when Justice Washington (Hamden, Conn.) recorded his first dunk of the afternoon following a nice pass from Keithantonio Davis (Vorhees, N.J.).
It was cruise control from there for the Falcons as the visitors claimed the 108-94 road win.
- Albertus Magnus - 52.2% FG | 45.7% 3PT | 66.7% FT
- Rivier- 48.3% FG | 40% 3PT | 82.4% FT
- This game saw two ties and six lead changes.
- Albertus' bench scored a total of 70 points.
- Davon Warner - 27 points (9-16 FG, 9-16 3PT) | 1 rebounds | 2 assists
- Jon Delgado - 11 points (3-4 FG, 3-4 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 1 rebound | 1 block
- Terry Dawkins - 10 points (3-4 FG, 4-8 FT) | 9 rebounds | 3 assists
- Tyreek Perkins - 10 points (3-10 FG, 2-4 3PT, 2-4 FT) | 1 rebound | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Issaiah Chappell - 34 points (10-19 FG, 5-10 3PT, 9-9 FT) | 5 rebounds | 4 assists | 1 steal
- Pharaoh Davis - 15 points (3-10 FG, 0-2 3PT, 9-12 FT) | 3 rebounds | 1 assist
- Jack McCarthy - 15 points (6-7 FG, 1-1 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 4 rebounds
- This is the 52nd meeting between Albertus and Rivier.
- Following today's win, the Falcons are now 34-18 all-time against the Raiders.
- This is the fifth time this season Albetus has scored 100 or more points.
- Albertus is now 6-1 on the road.
- Jon Delgado's (Jersey City, N.J.) 11-point performance was a career-high for the rookie.
- Dawkins was one-rebound shy of recording his fourth double-double of the year.
- Senior Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.) led the defensive unit with two blocks to go along with four points and two rebounds.
- All 14 players for Albertus scored two or more points.
The men's basketball team returns to the hardwood on Tuesday, Feb. 12 with a home GNAC showdown against Lasell University. Tip-off is set for 8PM in New Haven, Conn.