New Haven, Conn. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team caught fire in the second half, outscoring Norwich University by a 65-30 margin over the final 20 minutes to secure a 103-77 home victory Saturday afternoon at The Nest inside the Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center.
Final: Albertus Magnus College 103 | Norwich University 77
Records: Albertus Magnus (18-4, 7-2 GNAC) | Norwich (5-18, 1-8 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons opened the game on a 9-3 run, capped by a pair of long threes from Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) and Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.). Three-pointers were the opening theme of the game on Saturday, as the teams combined for five in the first five minutes to make the score 12-12 at the 15-minute mark. The teams continued to trade baskets in a tense opening ten minutes, with neither side able to gain an advantage. With nine minutes remaining, the Falcons held a one-point lead, 27-26, that was soon erased by a pair of free throws from Cadets' Caleb Casinas to bring the score to 28-27 in favor of the visitors.
The Cadets began to pull away after that, going on a 12-4 run, and holding a nine-point lead, 40-31, with a little less than four minutes remaining in the half. The teams would trade baskets from there, splitting the difference in points, 7-7, with the Cadets coming out ahead at the half, 47-38.
The Falcons struck first in the second half on a made free throw from Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.). Green-Younger then followed up with a deep three from the corner to get the hosts within five, 47-42. Green-Younger continued the Falcons' scoring run with a pair of made free throws to get the Falcons within three, 47-44, two minutes into the second half. It was the last time the Cadets would hold the lead in the game, as the Falcons took control of the game from there. A Perkins trey tied it up at 47-all with seventeen minutes remaining in the game. Green-Younger then scored an easy lay-up off a Norwich turnover to give the Falcons the lead once more, 49-47, with 16:39 remaining, and forcing Norwich to call a time-out.
A Dawkins steal and a quick pass resulted in a thunderous slam dunk by Green-Younger to increase the Falcon lead to five, 52-47, with 16 minutes remaining. A Norwich technical was converted into an extra Falcon point and possession, which Dawkins put in for an easy lay-up to increase the hosts' lead to seven, 54-47. The Falcons then went on a 14-4 run, highlighted by a deep three from Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) to make it 68-51, and forcing Norwich to use a second timeout. Another long three from Warner extended the hosts' lead to 20, 71-51 with just over eleven minutes left to play.
The teams traded baskets for the next seven minutes, with Albertus taking a 94-72 lead into the final three minutes of the game. A long three from behind the arc by Jon Delgado (Jersey City, N.J.) brought the hosts' total to 99 with a minute and a half remaining in regulation. Isaiah Lewis (New Haven, Conn.) followed up in the final ten seconds with a monstrous slam dunk that brought the Falcons to the triple digit threshold for the seventh time this season and secured the 103-77 victory for the Falcons.
- Albertus - 46.9% FG | 31.4% 3PT| 57.1% FT
- Norwich - 49.0% FG | 50% 3PT| 69.2% FT
- This game saw 4 ties and 6 lead changes.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger - 25 points (9-12 FG, 3-4 3PT, 4-6 FT) | 6 rebounds| 4 assists| 3 steals
- Justice Washington - 14 points (6-6 FG, 2-3 FT) | 6 rebounds| 1 assist | 1 steal | 1 block
- Terry Dawkins - 13 points (5-14 FG, 3-4 FT) | 9 rebounds| 2 assists| 2 steals
- Tyreek Perkins - 12 points (4-8 FG, 4-6 3PT) | 4 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal
- Davon Warner - 10 points (4-13 FG, 2-9 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 1 steal
- Caleb Casinas - 26 points (5-12 FG, 13-16 FT) | 1 rebound | 5 assists
- Kyle Booth - 16 points (7-11 FG, 0-3 FT) | 5 rebounds|4 assists | 4 steals
- Donovan Lewis Jr. - 13 points (4-7 FG, 5-7 FT) | 10 rebounds | 2 assists | 3 steals
- Dan Bertrand - 11 points (4-8 FG, 3-5 3PT) | 2 rebounds | 2 assists | 2 blocks
- Albertus: None
- Norwich: Donovan Lewis (13 points, 10 rebounds)
- Tonight's match-up was the 38th meeting all-time between Albertus and Norwich.
- Albertus is now 26-12 all-time against Norwich.
- The Falcons are now 10-1 at home this season.
- Albertus has scored 100 points in each of its last three games and seven times overall.
- Justice Washington (Hamden, Conn.) tied his season-high with 14 points
- Green-Younger has tallied 25-plus points in back-to-back games.
- Dawkins has scored 10-plus points 15 times this season, including 10-plus in each of the last five games.
- With tonight's victory, Coach Mitch Oliver is six wins shy of reaching the 275-win plateau (269).
The Falcons have a home clash with Emmanuel on Tuesday, Feb. 18th, with tip-off set for 7 PM. Prior to the game, the Falcons will be honoring its three-member senior class- Green-Younger, Damian Grant (Waterbury, Conn.), and Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) -as part of senior night.