Paxton, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College men's basketball team closed out the 2019-20 regular season on a six-game winning streak following a 98-79 win over Anna Maria College on Saturday afternoon in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) road clash inside the Fuller Activities Center.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 98 | Anna Maria 79
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (20-4, 9-2 GNAC) | Anna Maria (10-15, 6-5 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus' early 15-7 lead didn't hold as Anna Maria charged ahead behind a 7-0 scoring run, highlighted by five points from Bobby Perette, to trim the gap to one, 15-14, five minutes into play. From there, Albertus pushed its lead to six, 24-18, on a dunk from Liam Perryman (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.), but another spurt by the hosts made it a one-possession game, 26-25, with 9:20 remaining in the first.
Out of a Falcon timeout, Rob Tindley (Lawnside, N.J.) added a spark off the bench as the sophomore guard hit his first basket of the game at the 8:10 minute mark to ignite a short run that put the visitors up eight, 33-25.
It was hoop-for-hoop action the rest of the way as the Falcons led by six, 37-31, at the half.
Out of the intermission, Albertus started to heat up offensively as back-to-back baskets from Terry Dawkins (Bronx, N.Y.) and Perryman extended the visitors' lead to double-digits for the first time less than a minute into the stanza.
Shorty after, Anna Maria battled back to within nine, 45-36, following a three from Perette, but the Falcons answered with an 11-5 run, capped by a layup from Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.), to take a commanding 56-41 lead with 14:41 left to play.
Albertus did not let up and persistence looked to pay off for the visitors as the team slowly pushed its lead to 20, 63-43, following a three-point play from Qualon Wilkes (Bridgeport, Conn.).
That double-digit distance was too much for the AMCATS to make up and the Falcons went on to take home the victory.
- Albertus - 59.7% FG | 42.1%3PT| 100%FT
- Anna Maria - 42.1% FG | 21.7%3PT| 58.8%FT
- This game had one tie and no lead changes.
- The Falcons' largest lead of the day was 23 at the 5:53 minute mark following a layup from Tindley.
- Jahmerikah Green-Younger - 18 points (8-15 FG, 1-5 3PT, 1-1 FT) | 2 rebounds | 2 assists
- Tyreek Perkins (New Haven, Conn.) - 15 points (6-10 FG, 3-5 3PT) | 1 rebound |3 assists | 2 steals
- Davon Warner (New Haven, Conn.) - 15 points (5-9 FG, 1-4 3PT, 4-4 FT) | 3 rebounds | 2 assists | 1 steal
- Robby Simmons (Hartford, Conn.) - 10 points (5-6 FG) | 4 rebounds | 2 assists
- Bobby Perette - 25 points (8-16 FG, 4-9 3PT, 5-5 FT) | 2 rebounds |2 assists
- Mike Rapoza - 17 points (8-12 FG, 1-4 FT) | 18 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 steal | 2 blocks
- Ralph Grasso Jr. - 13 points (5-9 FG, 1-4 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 2 assists |2 steals
- Anna Maria: Mike Rapoza (17 points, 18 rebounds)
- Albertus faced Anna Maria earlier this season and topped the AMCATS, 91-69.
- The Falcons are now 18-4 all-time against the AMCATS.
- This is the second straight game the Falcons held their opponent to 21.7% shooting from three-point range.
- Albertus wrapped up the season with a record of 7-1 on the road.
- For the first time this season, Albertus shot a perfect 100% from the free throw line.
- Albertus shot over 50% from the field for the eighth time this season.
- Both teams recorded 42 points in the paint, while Anna Maria held a 10-8 edge in second chance points.
- Green-Younger has led the Falcons in four of their last five games.
- Freshman Jacqual Gertrude (Jersey City, N.J.) recorded the Falcons' only block of the game.
- Simmons was one-point shy of tying his season-high 11 points as well as tallied a season-best two assists.
Albertus finished the 2019-20 regular season with an overall record of 20-4 and a league mark of 9-2, which earns the Falcons the second seed in the upcoming 2020 GNAC Championship Tournament.
As the second seed, Albertus will host a quarterfinal game on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 7PM. The Falcon will face the seventh-seeded Rams of Suffolk University.
Quarterfinals - Tuesday, February 25 (at high seeds)
Game 1: #8 Regis at #1 St. Joseph (CT) - 7:00 PM
Game 2: #5 Saint Joseph's Maine at #4 Anna Maria - 7:00 PM
Game 3: #6 Lasell at #3 Emmanuel - 5:30 PM
Game 4: #7 Suffolk at #2 Albertus Magnus - 7:00 PM
Semifinals - Thursday, February 27 (at high seeds)
Game 5: #4/5 winner vs. #1/8 winner
Game 6: #3/6 winner vs. #2/7 winner
Championship - Saturday, February 29 (at highest remaining seed)
Game7: At highest remaining seed