NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team exploded for a season-high five goals against Connecticut College in home action Tuesday evening, but it proved to not be enough in an 8-5 loss to the Camels at Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Connecticut College 8 | Albertus Magnus 5
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-4-2) | Connecticut College (2-1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons got out of the gates quickly in the first period, taking a 3-1 lead after 20 minutes. Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) opened the game's scoring 10:36 into the bout. Owen Allan (Ancaster, Ontario) earned the assist on the play.
Albertus followed that up with a Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) strike just under 30 seconds later at the 11:02 mark of the first. Allan tacked on one more goal at the 16:01 mark to give the home team a commanding 3-0 advantage. Gustav Lundin (Viken, Sweden) dished out the assist on the Allan score.
Following a late goal by the Camels, Albertus found itself up 3-1 to start the second. Three goals, two by the Falcons and one by Conn. College, in the first 2:47 of the second period, resulted in the score being 5-2 early in the frame. Jacob Ducharme (Derby Line, Vt.) netted the first tally, while Zacharia Ouladelhadjahmed (Harveys Lake, Pa.) scored next for the Falcons, his first collegiate goal. Allan also posted an assist on the Ducharme strike, giving him three points on the day.
Unfortunately for the Falcons, their fifth goal led to a goalie change for Connecticut College that swung momentum in the contest. Albertus was held scoreless for the remainder of the bout, while Connecticut College went on to score six unanswered goals. Three goals at the end of the second period tied the game up heading to the third, when the Camels scored three more times to seal the win.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 0-4-2): Shots on Goal 43 | Goals-Against 7 | Saves 36 | 46:37
Thomas Walker: Shots on Goal 5 | Goals-Against 1 | Saves 4 | 13:22
Connecticut College - Connor Rodericks (W, 2-1-0): Shots on Goal 15 | Goals-Against 0 | Saves 15 | 36:55
Avery Gobbo: Shots on Goal 15 | Goals-Against 5 | Saves 10 | 22:47
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Camels owned a 48-30 lead over the Falcons in shots in the game.
• Both teams managed to stay out of the penalty box, as Albertus was whistled for two infractions, and Connecticut College was called for three.
• The Camels scored the lone power-play goal of the evening, going 1-for-2, while the Falcons were 0-for-3.
• Albertus had 12 different players register a shot in the contest.
• Allan and Risk led the Falcons with five shots each.
• In total, 18 Camels registered at least one shot.
• The Falcons scored a season-high five goals tonight.
• The three goals in the first period are a new high for a team in a period.
• Albertus tied a season-best total with 30 shots.
• Allan's three points tonight are the first of his career.
• Ouladelhadjahmed's goal is also his first collegiate point.
The Albertus men's ice hockey team hits the road for the first time in three weeks on Saturday, Nov. 23, to challenge Wilkes University at the Toyota Sportsplex in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.