WATERVILLE, Maine – The Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team kicked off the Bowdoin-Colby Classic this afternoon with a 6-0 setback to Bowdoin College in neutral-site action in Waterville, Maine.
FINAL: Bowdoin 6 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-6-2) | Bowdoin (2-3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Polar Bears shot out of the gates to start the weekend contest, taking a 1-0 lead in the first 40 seconds of the game. Kyle Jadatz cashed in on a Max Ginsberg pass to give Bowdoin the early advantage. The Polar Bears went ahead 2-0 by the 6:53 mark of the opening period, when Thomas Dunleavy netted the lone power-play goal of the afternoon.
Bowdoin caught fire in the second period, scoring four times to secure the 6-0 victory. The Polar Bears finished with six different goal scorers on 49 shots on goal. Christian Capello and Bobby Pearl led all players with two points each.
Between the pipes for the Falcons, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) made the start and recorded 29 saves over the first two periods. Thomas Walker (Spotswood, N.J.) entered in relief and logged 14 saves in a scoreless third period.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 0-6-2): Shots on Goal 35 | Goals-Against 6 | Saves 29
Thomas Walker: Shots on Goal 14 | Goals-Against 0 | Saves 14
Bowdoin - Alex Zafonte (W, 2-3-0): Shots on Goal 28 | Goals-Against 0 | Saves 28
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Bowdoin held a commanding 49-28 lead in shots over the Falcons in today's game.
• Albertus was whistled for nine penalties for a combined 26 minutes in the box.
• The Polar Bears, on the other hand, were called for five infractions for 10 minutes.
• Bowdoin scored the lone power-play goal of the day for a 1-for-7 afternoon, while Albertus went 0-for-4.
• Harley Michaels (Kirkland, Quebec) led the Falcons with four shots.
• Jimmy Duffy paced all players with seven shots.
• Today's game was Albertus' first at a neutral site this year.
• This afternoon's bout marks the first time this season that the Falcons have been shutout.
• Freshman defender Alexander Ouellet (Moncton, New Brunswick) made his collegiate debut against Bowdoin.
The Falcons continue play at the Bowdoin-Colby Classic tomorrow at 1 p.m. against Colby College in neutral-site action at the Sidney J. Watson Arena, Bowdoin's home ice rink.