NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season in Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey's 3-1 home setback to Wesleyan University (Conn.) on Friday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Wesleyan (Conn.) 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (0-8-2) | Wesleyan (Conn.) (4-3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons and Cardinals had a back-and-forth first period that did not see a goal until the 17:10 mark of the frame. Wesleyan got on the board first with a strike from Danny Sorabella, as the sophomore received a pass from Stephen O'Connor as he was wide open on the left side and buried the puck stick side of the keeper.
Unfortunately for the Falcons, the Cardinals' scoring was not done in the first. At the 19:44 mark, Emmet Powell found Cam Peritz on the right side of the ice, where he one-timed a shot into the back of the net.
Trailing 3-0 heading to the third period following an early second-period score by the Cardinals, Albertus came out of intermission with an attacking approach. In the third, the Falcons outshot Wesleyan by a 17-3 margin.
This intensified offense led to the home team's first goal at the 3:11 mark of the frame. On the power play, Alexander Lazier (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) and Dino Antoniadis (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) controlled the puck behind the net, before Lazier snuck a pass to Weitzman that he was able to put through the goalie's legs.
Despite a few more chances before the end of the game, the Falcons were unable to cut the deficit any further in the 3-1 setback.
Between the pipes for the Falcons, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) made 27 saves in a complete-game effort. The Freshman is up to 317 stops on the season.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 0-8-2): Shots on Goal 30 | Goals-Against 3 | Saves 27
Wesleyan (Conn.) - Tim Sestak (W, 4-2-0): Shots on Goal 36 | Goals-Against 1 | Saves 35
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Albertus outshot Wesleyan tonight by a 36-30 margin.
• The Falcons scored the lone power-play goal of the evening, finishing the game 1-for-4 with an extra man.
• On the penalty kill, Albertus was a perfect 3-for-3, its third game this season without allowing a power-play score.
• The Falcons were whistled for three penalties for six minutes in the box, while Wesleyan was called for four infractions for eight minutes in the box.
• In total, 18 different Falcons tallied a shot tonight.
• Weitzman and Harley Michaels (Kirkland, Quebec) finished tied for the team lead with four shots each.
• The Falcons drop to 0-4-1 at home on the year.
• Albertus is also 0-4-0 on the season against NESCAC competition.
• Weitzman paces the team with four goals on the season.
• Weitzman is tied with Michaels and Lazier for the team lead in points with five each.
• Michaels and Lazier are also tied for the team lead in assists with four.
• Ryan Herpy (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) made his first collegiate appearance tonight on defense for the Falcons.
The Albertus Magnus men's ice hockey team will play its final game of 2019 on Saturday, Dec. 7, when it welcomes SUNY Canton to the Ralph Walker Skating Rink for a 7 p.m. tilt.