NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team was unable to overcome a four-goal first period by King's College (Pa.) in a 4-1 home loss on Friday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink. Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.) netted the Falcons' lone goal in the third period on the power play.
FINAL: King's (Pa.) 4 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-11-2) | King's (Pa.) (2-10-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Tonight's contest was decided in the opening 20 minutes, as the visiting Monarchs stormed out to a 4-0 lead after one period. The first goal came off the stick of Liam Johnson, who took advantage of a loose puck in the zone and buried a shot just over the goalie's right shoulder. Goal two came when Michael DiSchiavi cashed in on an Alex Acosta pass to beat the keeper stick side.
The third goal on the evening came on a stellar individual effort from Tommy Cahill, as the forward brought the puck up from the center line and beat two defenders before scoring to the right side of the net. The final goal in the first period came after a Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) save, as the puck seemed to freeze in front of the keeper, allowing Rob Sheehan to poke it into the net.
Trailing 4-0 after one, the Falcons came out with new energy in the final two periods, as they did not allow another goal over the last 40 minutes. Albertus increased its offensive pressure to start the change, outshooting the Monarchs by a 30-14 margin over the second and third periods.
With a new-found approach, the Falcons finally broke through at the 5:14 mark of the third period. With an extra skater, Albertus needed just three passes after the faceoff to find Olson at the center of the zone for the score. Zachary Withington (Branford, Conn.) and Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) were credited with assists on the play, the first career point for Withington.
Despite outshooting their opponent, 38-31, for the game, the Falcons would only score the one goal in a 4-1 loss.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 2-11-2): Shots on Goal 31 | Goals-Against 4 | Saves 27
King's (Pa.) - Brandon Daigle (W, 1-4-0): Shots on Goal 38 | Goal-Against 1 | Saves 37
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons outshot the Monarchs by a 38-31 margin.
• Albertus was whistled for just four penalties for a combined eight minutes in the box.
• King's was called for eight infractions for 16 minutes.
• The Falcons scored the lone power-play goal of the day to go 1-for-3 on the evening.
• On the penalty kill, Albertus held the Monarchs to an 0-for-7 mark with an extra man.
• Jack Hannan (Kent, Conn.) paced the Falcons with six shots.
• Albertus drops to 1-6-1 at home on the year.
• Today's loss brought an end to the Falcons' two-game win streak.
• Withington's assist is his first career point.
• Olson is up to five points on the season with two goals and three assists.
• Risk also now has five points on the year (2G, 3A).
The Falcons and Monarchs will conclude this weekend's two-game set tomorrow at 4 p.m. at Ralph Walker Skating Rink.