NEW HAVEN, CT. – For the second consecutive night, the Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team was unable to spark its offense, as the Falcons were dealt a 4-0 home setback from The College at Brockport on Saturday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Brockport 4 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-14-2) | Brockport (11-6-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The first period was tightly contested, with neither team grabbing an advantage until the 15:40 mark. It was at that point that the Golden Eagles took a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal by Jake Colosanti. Skating down the right side of the rink, Colosanti slapped a wrister into the top corner of the net.
Albertus had its chances in the frame as well, being tied with the visitors with 12 shots each. The Falcons even had a puck cross the goal line, but it was called off due to the net becoming dislodged.
It was in the second period that the game swung firmly in the Golden Eagles' favor. On 12 shots in the frame, Brockport tallied three goals in the first 11 minutes. Trevor Pray scored first at the 4:53 mark, while Jake Colosanti and Doc Gentzler cemented the bout away with goals at the 7:12- and 11:00-minute marks, respectively.
Albertus, on the other hand, was unable to break through for a goal for its second straight shutout loss. Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) started between the pipes for the Falcons and made 29 saves in another stellar effort. Diamond has made 20-plus saves in all but one of his appearances this season and has tallied 533 total stops as the Falcons' primary netminder.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 3-13-2): Shots on Goal 29 | Goals-Against 4 | Saves 25
Brockport - Aidan Curry (W, 2-0-0): Shots on Goal 26 | Goal-Against 0 | Saves 26
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Albertus was outshot in tonight's contest by a 29-26 margin.
• The Falcons were whistled for 10 penalties for 20 minutes in the box, while the Golden Eagles spent 16 minutes in the box on eight infractions.
• Brockport's opening goal of the day was the lone power-play score.
• The Golden Eagles went 1-for-7 with an extra man, while the Falcons went 0-for-5.
• Sebastien Laquerre (Lévis, Quebec) led Albertus with four shots on goal.
• Danny Rock paced all players with six shots.
• With the loss, Albertus falls to 2-7-1 at home this season.
• The Falcons have been shut out four times this year, twice at home.
• Laquerre's four shots are a new season-high for the rookie.
• Diamond has made 533 saves so far this season.
The Albertus Magnus men's ice hockey team heads on the road for its next competition, as the Falcons will challenge SUNY Canton on Friday, Jan. 24, at 4 p.m. in Canton, N.Y.