CANTON, N.Y. – Four different Falcons scored goals to lead the Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team to its first-ever road win, a 4-1 victory over SUNY Canton, who received votes in the latest United States College Hockey Online (USHCO) national poll, on Friday evening in Canton, N.Y.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 4 | SUNY Canton 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-14-2) | Canton (9-5-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Dino Antoniadis (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) opened the game's scoring in the first period, cashing in on a Michael Forgione (New Vernon, N.J.) dump-in pass at the 10:23 mark of the frame. On the transition, Forgione tossed the puck to the center of the zone, where it deflected off a Roos' defender's stick to Antoniadis, who scored between the goalie's legs. Robert Eichelberger (Odessa, Fla.) also garnered an assist on the play.
Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) put the Falcons up 2-0 near the end of the first period with his team-leading seventh goal of the season. Weitzman stole the puck at the blue line at the 16:08 mark of the frame and buried it over the goaltender's stick-side shoulder.
The Falcons' advantage grew to 3-0 on a goal from Sebastien Laquerre (Lévis, Quebec) midway through the second period. Antoniadis logged his second point of the day at the 9:02 mark of the frame, finding Laquerre from behind the net for the open score. Alexander Lazier (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) picked up his team-best seventh assists of the season on the Laquerre tally.
Canton cut the deficit to two goals, 3-1, at the 10:29 mark of the second period. Bailey Conklin started the play from behind Albertus' net, before skating to the front of the cage and squeezing the puck past the opposing keeper.
Matthew Capisciolto (Russell, Ontario) sealed the Falcons win in the third period with an empty-net score with 58 seconds on the clock. Capisciolto took a Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.) pass from just past the blue line and lifted the puck over the defense into the center of the net.
In goal for the Falcons, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) was outstanding in the victory, making 38 saves to preserve the lead, including a whopping 18 in the second period. Diamond's 38 saves are the second most recorded by the rookie, who has led the Falcons to all four of their wins this season.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (W, 4-13-2): Shots on Goal 39 | Goals-Against 1 | Saves 38
Canton - Austin Washkurak (L, 5-2-0): Shots on Goal 22 | Goal-Against 3 | Saves 19
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons were outshot in the game by a 39-23 margin.
• Albertus was called for eight penalties for 27 minutes, while Canton served eight minutes on four infractions.
• Albertus went a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
• The Falcons went scoreless on two power plays.
• Charles Risk (Medicine Hat, Alberta) led Albertus with four shots.
• Eight different Falcons tallied points today, led by Antoniadis with two.
• The Falcons have four wins this season, with today's being their first road victory.
• AMC evened the season series against Canton, avenging a loss in the team's final game before the winter break.
• Albertus' four goals are the second-most by the team.
• Weitzman leads the Falcons with 13 points and seven goals.
• Lazier paces Albertus with seven assists.
• Diamond's 38 saves are the second most recorded by the rookie this year.
The Falcons continue a three-game road trip on Tuesday, Jan. 28, against Post University at 7 p.m. in Shelton, Conn.