BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – A first-period power-play goal by Bryn Athyn College proved to be just enough for the Lions to edge the Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team in a 2-0 Falcons' loss Friday evening at the Jungé Ice Hockey Rink in Bryn Athyn, Pa.
FINAL: Bryn Athyn 2 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-16-2) | Bryn Athyn (10-8-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lions took a 1-0 advantage after a hard-fought first period behind a power-play goal by Nikita Smirnov 4:12 into the game. Smirnov rocketed a one-timer from the top of the zone that snuck past the Albertus goalie. Despite trailing after the first period, the Falcons owned a 9-7 lead in shots.
Neither team scored in the second period, leaving the advantage with the Lions heading into the third. In the second, the Falcons' starting goalie, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta), was at his best with a game-high 13 saves.
Bryn Athyn added an insurance goal with just 2:02 left in regulation to ice the game away. On an Albertus transition, Mike Perkett poked the puck away from an offensive skater and found Smirnov, who streaked down the right side of the ice and beat the opposing keeper to his glove side.
Diamond finished the complete-game effort with 27 stops on 29 shots on goal. The freshman has made 20-plus saves in all but one appearance this season and has a total of 631 saves to his name this year.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus – Pierce Diamond (L, 4-15-2): Shots on Goal 29 | Goals-Against 2 | Saves 27
Bryn Athyn – Gabriel Couture (W, 4-1-1): Shots on Goal 26 | Goal-Against 0 | Saves 26
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons were slightly outshot in tonight's contest, 29-26.
• The two teams tonight posted a clean showing, as they were whistled for a combined nine penalties for 18 minutes in the box.
• Bryn Athyn scored the lone power-play goal of the game, going 1-for-3.
• Albertus went 0-for-4 on its extra-man opportunities.
• Owen Allan (Ancaster, Ontario) and Alexander Lazier (Pointe-Claire, Quebec) led the way for the Falcons with four shots each.
• Two-goal-scorer Smirnov paced all players with seven shots.
• Albertus falls to 4-16-2 overall this season.
• The Falcons dropped both games against the Lions this year.
• Diamond is up to 631 saves in his freshman campaign in 21 appearances.
The Falcons will play their final home game of the season on Tuesday, Feb. 4, when they welcome Franklin Pierce University to the Ralph Walker Skating Rink for a 7 p.m. showdown.