NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey team wrapped up the home portion of its inaugural 2019-20 season with a 4-1 loss to Franklin Pierce University on Tuesday evening at the Ralph Walker Skating Rink.
FINAL: Franklin Pierce 4 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-17-2) | Franklin Pierce (12-9-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons came out of the gates quickly, owning an 18-6 lead in shots through one period. Despite a few strong chances, Albertus went into the first intermission tied with Franklin Pierce at 0-0.
Things picked up in the second period, with the Falcons thinking that they scored the first goal of the game at the 12:13 mark. On a transition, Joseph Onorato (Johns Creek, Ga.) beat the opposing goalie to put the home team up 1-0, but after a short discussion, a trailing official ruled that the goal came immediately after an offside thus wiping the score off the board.
This waved-off goal swung momentum in the game, as Franklin Pierce took a 1-0 lead under two minutes later. Just under 11 minutes into the second frame, Chris Stevenson rebounded a wide shot by Anthony Nikolopoulos and beat the goalie to his stick side to put the visitors ahead.
The same duo connected again for the second goal of the evening at the 15:02 mark of the second period. This time, Stevenson sent the puck into the zone before it found Nikolopoulos for the goal.
Trailing in the third period, the Falcons got on the board for the first time on their final power play of the night. With 3:17 left, Harley Michaels (Kirkland, Quebec) sent a pass to the crease, where Dino Antoniadis (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) deflected the puck past the keeper. Cameron Weitzman (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) also got an assist on the play for his team-leading 18th point of the year.
With over three minutes left in a one-goal game, the Falcons were ready to send the contest into overtime. Unfortunately for the home team, the Ravens tallied an empty-net goal with 1:24 remaining to seal the victory. Another empty-netter with 30 seconds left to set the final score at 4-1.
Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) was critical in keeping the Falcons close in tonight's contest, making a few challenging saves to keep the bout within two goals. The rookie netminder made 31 saves on his 33 shots faced in his 22nd start of the year.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus - Pierce Diamond (L, 4-16-2): Shots on Goal 33 | Goals-Against 2 | Saves 31
Franklin Pierce – Adam Carman (W, 5-3-0): Shots on Goal 35 | Goal-Against 1 | Saves 34
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons and Ravens finished the game tied with 35 shots each.
• Albertus ended the game with just one penalty for two minutes in the box.
• Franklin Pierce was called for five infractions for 10 minutes.
• The Falcons scored the lone power-play goal, going 1-for-5 on the extra man.
• Antoniadis and Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.) were tied for the game-lead in shots with five.
• Albertus ends its home slate with a 2-8-1 record.
• The Falcons have not allowed a power-play goal in three of their last six games.
• Antoniadis' goal is the second of his season, his first at home.
• With an assist tonight, Weitzman is up to a team-best 18 points (11G, 7A) on the year.
• Michaels is up to eight points (1G, 7A), which is fourth-most on the team.
• Diamond is up to 662 saves in his freshman season.
The men's ice hockey team brings an end to its inaugural 2019-20 season on Friday, Feb. 7, with a road 5:40 p.m. meeting against Anna Maria College at the Horgan Arena in Auburn Mass.