AUBURN, Mass. – Anna Maria College dashed Albertus Magnus College men's ice hockey's chance to score a point in its 2019-20 season finale Friday evening, netting a goal with 30 seconds remaining in regulation to seal a 3-2 victory on its home ice at the Horgan Arena in Auburn, Mass.
FINAL: Anna Maria 3 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-18-2) | Anna Maria (11-7-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons got off to a strong start in the first period, owning a 15-10 lead in shots. Despite the advantage in attempts, Albertus found itself down 1-0 after one period following a Michael Padgeon power-play score 14:32 into the frame.
The AMCATS' lead grew to 2-0 with another extra-man goal, this time from Sam Cyr-Ledoux at the 3:24 mark of the second period. Cyr-Ledoux brought the puck up from the blue line and beat a pair of defenders before scoring to the goalie's glove-side corner.
Albertus began to rally 5:54 into the second with a power-play score from Owen Allan (Ancaster, Ontario). Allan skated across the goal line and slid the puck past the keeper on his stick side for his fifth goal of the year. Both Matthew Capisciolto (Russell, Ontario) and Coleton Cianci (Kirkland, Quebec) were credited with assists on the score.
Dino Antoniadis (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) tied the game at 2-all with a power-play tally with just 20 seconds left in the second period. Antoniadis, who has three goals on the season, took a pass from Jon Olson (Merrick, N.Y.) and rifled a shot off the top of the goalie's glove into the back of the net.
Both teams fought hard in the third period, with the score remaining tied until the final 30 seconds. With the first game of the year between these two teams ending in a 1-1 overtime draw on Nov. 8, the Falcons and AMCATS again seemed destined to play some free hockey. Anna Maria's Gavin Proeh had other ideas, however, as he rocketed turn-around shot from the right side of the goal line and found daylight just behind Albertus' keeper to seal the win with 30 seconds left.
As he had done in all but two games this season, Pierce Diamond (Edmonton, Alberta) started between the pipes for the Falcons. The rookie made 19 saves, ending his freshman campaign with 681 total stops.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
Albertus – Pierce Diamond (L, 4-17-2): Shots on Goal 22 | Goals-Against 3 | Saves 19
Anna Maria – Julius Huset (W, 9-6-4): Shots on Goal 32 | Goal-Against 2 | Saves 30
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Falcons outshot the AMCATS by a 32-22 margin.
• Albertus was called for four penalties for eight minutes in the box, while Anna Maria served 12 minutes on six infractions.
• The Falcons went 2-for-6 on the power play, while the AMCATS went 2-for-4 with an extra skater.
• The lone even-strength goal of the evening was the game's last, as the first four goals were all on the power play.
• Allan and Cianci led all players with six shots each.
• Cyr-Ledoux paced all skaters with three points (1G, 2A).
• Albertus ends its inaugural season with a 4-18-2 overall record.
• With the win tonight, the AMCATS clinch the season series between the two teams, with the other meeting being a 1-1 tie on Nov. 8.
• The Falcons have been involved in four one-goal games this season.
• Antoniadis has scored a goal in back-to-back contests and finishes the year with three tallies.
• Allan ends his freshman campaign with five goals, the second-most on the team.
• Olson concludes the year in a tie for fifth on the team with seven points (2G, 5A).
• Diamond caps off his impressive freshman season with 681 saves and a 4-17-2 record.