Albertus Magnus College
Men's Lacrosse Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus College (1-0)
March 1 • 2 p.m. • New London, Conn. (Conn. College)
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team looks to improve its overall record to 3-0 as the Falcons prepare for Mitchell and Mass. Maritime in the week ahead.
ALL-TIME VS. MITCHELL
Mitchell holds a 1-2 edge over Albertus in the all-time series.
LAST YEAR VS. MITCHELL
GAME: Mitchell 13 | Albertus Magnus 8 - RECAP/BOX SCORE
GOALS: Justin Bennett (3 goals, 1 assist)
GOALIE: Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) made 15 saves in 60 minutes in goal for the Falcons.
ALL-TIME VS. MASS. MARITIME
Mass. Maritime leads Albertus, 3-0, in the all-time series.
LAST YEAR VS. MASS MARTIME
GAME: Mass. Maritime 16 | Albertus Magnus 6 - RECAP/BOX SCORE
GOALS: Greg Buck (6 goals, 1 assist)
GOALIE: Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) made 17 stops in 53-plus minutes of action for the Falcons, who also received three saves from freshman John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) in the final six-plus minutes.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 11 | Daniel Webster 8 - RECAP/BOX SCORE
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Daniel Webster (0-1)
HIGHLIGHT: Sophomore James May (Branford, Conn.) and senior Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) combined to score seven goals and dished out two assists for Albertus Magnus.
IN SEASON OPENERS
The Falcons picked up the program's first season-opener win last week against Daniel Webster. The Falcons are now 1-3 in season-openers.
Albertus Magnus has nine student-athletes returning from last year's team.
FALCONS PICKED EIGHTH IN PRESEASON POLL
The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team was picked to finish eighth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons finished the 2015-16 season with a 4-10 overall record and finished eighth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) with a 1-7 mark.
- Head Coach Darryl Delia set a new school record with four wins as he led Albertus to victories against Anna Maria, Wheelock, Emerson and Mount St. Vincent.
LAST SEASON STANDOUTS
- Adam Earl (Hamden, Conn.) ended his stellar career on a high note with a new single-season program record 40 caused turnovers. Earl is also the school's all-time leader in caused turnovers with 78 and he is ranked second all-time with 150 ground balls.
- Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) currently ranks third in school history in points with 93 and is 15 assists away from setting a new school record.
- Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) re-wrote the record books last spring, becoming the program's all-time leader in goals, points, shots and shots per game.
- Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) was a two-way threat for the Falcons, scoring 31 goals, causing 12 turnovers and grabbing a program-record 120 ground balls. Bennet also went 146-273 on face-offs last year to now sit atop the school records in ground balls, face-offs won and face-off percentage. He enters his final season in New Haven nine points shy of 100 for his career.
- Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) earned All- GNAC distinction and classmate Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) represented Albertus Magnus on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
- Buck earned third team honors for the Falcons after scoring 38 markers and adding 10 assists for 48 points, while Bennet had another quality year for AMC, scoring 31 goals and finishing third on the team with 44 points.
- Bennet was tabbed as the GNAC Player of the Week on March 14 and sophomore netminder Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) was twice named the GNAC Goalkeeper of the Week.
The Falcons return to action next week against Wheelock.