FINAL SCORE: Mitchell 16 | Albertus Magnus 12
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-1) | Mitchell College (1-1)
NEW LONDON, Conn. – Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) and Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team tallied a team-high four goals apiece as the Falcons fell to 1-1 on the season following the 16-12 loss to Mitchell College on Wednesday afternoon at Connecticut College. Moore also added a team-high three assists to his stat line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Just seven seconds in, Moore gave Albertus the early tally after scoring his second goal of the season after a nice feed from Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.). Mitchell struck back with two-straight unanswered goals to go up 2-1, but Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) would tie the game with 7:32 left in the first. McCarthy Brodaski capped the scoring in the first, giving the hosts the 3-2 advantage.
Buck opened the second with his second goal of the season, tying the game for a second time, 3-3, before Mitchell responded with a three-goal spurt to close out the half with a 6-3 lead.
Brodaski extended Mitchells' lead to four, 7-3, until a goal from Buck cut the hosts' lead back down to three, 7-4. Mitchell would strike again with another goal, but Bennet and Buck would team-up scoring the next two points for the visitors and cutting the lead to two, 8-6. However, Mitchell would tack on three more goals to take an 11-8 lead heading into the final stanza.
Moore would score his second goal in a row to help the visitors cut the lead to within two, 11-9, to start off the fourth. Michael Frosina would go on to score Mitchells' 12th goal of the game on a man-up opportunity caused by a penalty by the Falcons.
Once again, the Falcons responded with a two-goal spurt to bring the score to within one, 12-11, with 13:21 left to play. Over the final 10 minutes, Mitchell would end the stanza with a 4-1 run to secure the win. Bennet would score the final goal for the Falcons with 46 seconds left on the clock.
- In the cage, Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) turned asided 15 shots in a losing effort. On the opposite side, JD LeMay made 10 saves en route to his first win of the year.
- Both squads were 2-4 in man-up opportunities, while Buck scored both goals for the Falcons.
- Albertus held a slight 57-55 edge in shots and were successful on 17-of-19 clear attempts.
- McArthy Brodaski tallied seven of the hosts' 16 shots as well as collected three assists and two ground balls.
- Albertus won 26 face-off's while Mitchell only claimed five out of 31.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on March 5th at Mass. Martime. Face-off is set for 3 p.m.