A NEW WEEK
Following Monday's double overtime win over Becker College, the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team looks to continue its winning ways as the Falcons host Mt. St. Vincent on Wednesday and Wheelock on Saturday.
ALL-TIME VS. MT. ST. VINCENT
Albertus Magnus leads the all-times series over Mt. St. Vincent, 1-0.
LAST YEAR VS. MT. ST. VINCENT
GAME: Albertus Magnus 14 | Mt. St. Vincent 11 – RECAP/BOXSCORE
GOALS: Greg Buck (7 goals and 1 assist)
GOALIE: Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) made a career-high 25 saves to earn his third victory of the spring.
ALL-TIME VS. WHEELOCK
Albertus Magnus leads the all-times series over Wheelock, 1-0.
LAST YEAR VS. WHEELOCK
GAME: Albertus Magnus 20 | Wheelock 7 – RECAP/BOXSCORE
GOALS: Justin Bennet (6 goals and 1 assist)
GOALIE: Between the pipes, netminder Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) made 13 saves in over 55 minutes of action to record the victory for Albertus Magnus.
MONDAY GAME RECAP
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 12 | Becker 11 (Double Overtime) – RECAP/BOXSCORE
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-2) | Becker (0-5)
HIGHLIGHT: Becker would end regulation scoring back-to-back goals to send the game into overtime, 11-11. The first overtime passed with neither team scoring. Then in the second overtime Matt Mueller (Cheshire, Conn.) was able to find Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) who was waiting in front of the net to pocket the goal and send the Falcons home victorious.
IN SEASON OPENERS
The Falcons picked up the program's first season-opener win last week against Daniel Webster. The Falcons are now 1-3 in season-openers.
Albertus Magnus has nine student-athletes returning from last year's team.
FALCONS PICKED EIGHTH IN PRESEASON POLL
The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team was picked to finish eighth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Poll.
LAST YEAR RECAP
- The Falcons finished the 2015-16 season with a 4-10 overall record and finished eighth in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) with a 1-7 mark.
- Head Coach Darryl Delia set a new school record with four wins as he led Albertus to victories against Anna Maria, Wheelock, Emerson and Mount St. Vincent.
LAST SEASON STANDOUTS
- Adam Earl (Hamden, Conn.) ended his stellar career on a high note with a new single-season program record 40 caused turnovers. Earl is also the school's all-time leader in caused turnovers with 78 and he is ranked second all-time with 150 ground balls.
- Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) currently ranks third in school history in points with 93 and is 15 assists away from setting a new school record.
- Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) re-wrote the record books last spring, becoming the program's all-time leader in goals, points, shots and shots per game.
- Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) was a two-way threat for the Falcons, scoring 31 goals, causing 12 turnovers and grabbing a program-record 120 ground balls. Bennet also went 146-273 on face-offs last year to now sit atop the school records in ground balls, face-offs won and face-off percentage. He enters his final season in New Haven nine points shy of 100 for his career.
- Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) earned All- GNAC distinction and classmate Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) represented Albertus Magnus on the GNAC All-Sportsmanship Team.
- Buck earned third team honors for the Falcons after scoring 38 markers and adding 10 assists for 48 points, while Bennet had another quality year for AMC, scoring 31 goals and finishing third on the team with 44 points.
- Bennet was tabbed as the GNAC Player of the Week on March 14 and sophomore netminder Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) was twice named the GNAC Goalkeeper of the Week.
The Falcons return to action next week against Emerson and Saint Joseph's (Me.)