FINAL SCORE: Anna Maria 17 | Albertus Magnus 5
TEAM RECORD: Albertus Magnus (3-9, 0-5) | Anna Maria (3-10, 1-4)
Paxton, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse fell on the road at Anna Maria College, 17-5, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play on Tuesday evening at AMCAT Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Anna Maria controlled the opening half of the game, outscoring the Falcons 5-1 in the first and 2-1 in the second to take a commanding 7-2 lead at the half.
The AMCATS opened the first with the 2-0 lead before Austin Kozak (West Haven, Conn.) found the back of the net for the Falcons' first goal of the game with 4:43 remaining. However, Anna Maria would close of the period with three straight unanswered goals to take a 5-1 lead.
It was defensive battle as Anna Maria and Albertus Magnus totaled three goals in the second. James May (Branford, Conn.) scored the Falcons' solo goal in the period at the 9:20 mark after a pass fromBrennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.). With four minutes remaining, Anna Maria would control the momentum of the game and close out the half with a 2-0 run.
Anna Maria won the offensive battle in the third period as the hosts pushed their lead to nine, 11-2, after outscoring the Falcons 4-0.
Down 13-2 with 10 minutes remaining, May broke the silence for the visitors after he found the back of the net after a nice dish from Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) at the 9:22 mark.
Over the next couple of minutes of play, both teams traded goals, including an unassisted goal from Bennet, but Anna Maria would hold a 17-4 lead with a minute remaining.
Bennett would score the final goal of the game and pushed his season total to 23.
INSIDE THE STATS
- At the half, Anna Maria outshot Albertus Magnus 22-13 while three different players from Anna Maria scored two goals each.
- Junior Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) earned the loss in net for the Falcons despite making 16 saves, three shy of his season-high 19.
- Justin Bennet (Fairfield, Conn.) and May paced the Falcons' offense with a team-high two goals each while Kozak added a tally to the total.
- Brandon Pavoni led the AMCATS with seven goals and two assists for nine points.
- Anna Maria held a 43-23 edge in ground balls and a 53-29 edge in shots.
- Albertus Magnus want 7-of-25 in face off wins and 4-of-7 in clear attempts.
The Falcons return to action on Friday, April 21 against Emmanuel.