New Haven, Conn. - Junior James May (Branford, Conn.), sophomore Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) and freshman Jayme Toro (East Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team led the offensive attack with a team-high three goals apiece as the Falcons defeated the College of Mt. St. Vincent, 10-7, Monday evening in non-conference play at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 10 | Mt. St. Vincent 7
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-1) | Mt. St. Vincent (1-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
May got things started for the Falcons in the opening quarter as the junior attackmen scored the first goal of the game off an assist from Jordan Garguilo (West Haven, Conn.) to give the hosts the early edge. With 7:52 on the clock, the Dolphins erupted on offense, scoring three straight goals to take a 3-1 lead, but Toro was able to find the back of the net off the face-off, cutting the lead to within one, 3-2.
The Falcons fed off Toro's tally at the end of the first as May scored his second goal of the game, tying the score at three. Mt. St. Vincent would answer back two minutes later with a man-up goal, but back-to-back tallies from May and Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) gave the Falcons the one-goal lead, 5-4. However, both teams would head into halftime tied up at 5-all after Casey Donohue scored the final goal of the half for the Dolphins at the buzzard.
After a scoreless third quarter, Albertus Magnus came alive in the final 15 minutes of regulation, outscoring the Dolphins 5-2 to secure the home win. The fourth quarter was highlighted by three goals from Magnifico and two from Toro.
- Following tonight's win, the Falcons are now 2-1 against the Dolphins in the all-time series.
- May tied his season-best three goals as well as added an assist, four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Magnifico's three-goal performance was a new career-best for the sophomore attack.
- Along with Magnifico, Toro recorded a career-best in goals and finished the game 14-of-20 in the face-off circle.
- Freshman Jordan Garguilo (West Haven, Conn.) recorded his second straight three-point performance after collecting a team-best three assists.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus - Jack Kerner (0-1): 7 Goals-Against | 12 Saves | 19 Shots
- Mt. St. Vincent - Christian Brody (0-1): 10 Goals-Against | 13 Saves | 23 Shots
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Albertus Magnus was 21-of-28 in clear attempts while Mt. St. Vincent went 21-of-31 in clears.
- Senior Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) also tallied a goal for the Falcons.
- Three players from Mt. St. Vincent's posted two goals apiece, including David Collins who posted two goals and an assist for three points.
- Jared Mackey assisted four of the Dolphins' seven goals as well as posted two ground balls and forced two turnovers.
- The Falcons posted a 38-27 edge in ground balls and a 35-37 advantage in shots.
- Mt. St. Vincent's finished the game 3-of-4 in man-up goals and recorded three face-off violations.
- Albertus Magnus forced 15 turnovers, including a team-best three from Austin Kozak.
- Toro led the Falcons with 12 ground balls and two caused turnovers while senior Niko Ames (Sunderland, Mass.) added 10 ground balls of his own to the Falcons total tally.
Albertus Magnus returns to Celentano Field on Wednesday, March 21st as the Falcons host SUNY Purchase in a non-conference showdown beginning at 6 pm.