Providence, R.I. – The Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team lost on the road to Johnson & Wales (RI), 16-1, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) clash on Wednesday evening at the Scotts Miracle Grow Complex. Junior John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) broke his school record of 30 saves, which was set last weekend against Norwich, as he registered a new career-best 31 saves.
FINAL SCORE: Johnson & Wales 16 | Albertus Magnus 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-8, 0-5) | Johnson & Wales (4-9, 3-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Johnson & Wales controlled the flow of the opening half as the Wildcats held a commanding 13-0 lead at the half. The Falcons took a total of 16 shots, eight of which were on goal, but was unsuccessful finding the back of the net against the Wildcats' keeper Bradley Morris.
Down, 16-0, senior Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) got Albertus Magnus on the board with 3:11 left in the fourth as he found the back of the net against Brent Petrowski, who relieved Morris with 1:21 left in the third. Moore's goal was his 14th of the season and the Falcons' lone goal of the game.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Albertus Magnus – John Brunetti (L, 0-3): 16 Goals-Against | 31 Saves | 47 Shots
- Johnson & Wales – Bradley Morris (W, 4-9): 0 Goals-Against | 9 Saves | 9 Shots
- Johnson & Wales – Brent Petrowski : 1 Goal-Against | 2 Saves | 3 Shots
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Johnson & Wales on the ground ball battle, 33-17, as well as outshot the Falcons, 60-29.
- Albertus Magnus was 9-of-21 in face-offs compared to Johnson & Wales who went 12-of-21.
- The Wildcats finished 31-of-31 in clears while the Falcons went 21-of-29.
- Eric Russo led the Wildcats' offense with a four-goal, six-assist performance.
- Brad Kretz also had a night for the Wildcats as the attackmen scored a game-high five goals as well as added an assist and two ground balls to his stat line.
- Brunetti led the Falcons in ground balls with eight.
- Seniors Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) and Niko Ames (Sunderland, Mass.) led the Falcons' defensive unit with a caused turnover each.
- Moore and junior James May (Branford, Conn.) took a combined 18 shots while seven of the attempts were on goal.
Albertus Magnus returns to action this Saturday, April 14th with a road GNAC clash at Saint Joseph's of Maine. Face-off is set for 3:00 p.m. in Standish, Me. Johnson & Wales continues conference action on Saturday when it travels to Rivier for a 1 p.m. contest.