Link: Box Score
New Haven, Conn. – Freshman Terrell Yarbrough (New Haven, Conn.) found the back of the net with 1:57 left to play in overtime this evening to lift the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team over Becker College, 11-10, in non-conference action under the lights at Celentano Field. The win over the Hawks is the first for the Falcons since the 2017 season and it gives Albertus the 2-1 advantage in the all-time series.
FINAL: Albertus Magnus 11 | Becker 10 (OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-5) | Becker (0-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Three minutes into play, senior James May (Branford, Conn.) and sophomore Mykel Stinson (Bridgeport, Conn.) gave the Falcons to the early 2-0 edge until a goal from Jack Schneider at the 10:46 mark sparked a 4-0 run that put the visitors up 4-2 at the end of the first.
Junior Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) brought the Falcons to within one, 4-3, after scoring his first of the game before May found the back of the net for his second marker following a nice feed from Kaj Djonne (Sandy Hook, Conn.), evening the score at 4-4 with 6:16 left in the second. However, Becker would hold a 5-4 lead at the half as Schneider completed the hat trick at the 2:06 mark.
The Falcons dominated in third outscoring Becker 3-1 to take a 7-6 lead heading into the final 15 minutes of play. During the run, May recorded a pair of assists while freshman Andre Young (Stamford, Conn.) scored his first to kick off the stanza.
Becker started off the fourth with a 4-1 scoring run to push its lead to two, 10-8, with 5:50 remaining, but May scored the final two goals to send the game into overtime where Yarbrough scored the game-winner after receiving the short pass from Djonne right in front of the Hawks' keeper.
- May finished the game with seven points behind four goals and three assists.
- Along with his two goals, Stinson scooped up a season-high 14 ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Magnifico also led the Falcons' attack with two goals and three assists for five points.
- Young had a career-game netting a personal-best two goals.
- Yarbrough's game-winning tally was his second goal of the season.
- Lewis Jaworski also registered a hat trick as well as tallied two assists, eight ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Matt Guerin finished with two goals and two assists for four points.
- Ryan Clifford led the defensive unit with three caused turnovers.
- Albertus recorded a stellar game setting a new season-high in points (19), assists (8), shot's (54), shots on goal (31), man-up goals (3) and clears (23).
- The Falcons tied their season-high in goals with 11 and ground balls with 35.
- Magnifico registered his 50th career point in tonight's win against the Hawks.
- Albertus outshot Becker, 54-38.
- The Falcons won the battle for ground balls, 35-30, and won 16 of the 23 face-offs.
- Albertus is 2-1 in overtimes.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.): 10 Goals-Against | 19 Saves | 29 Shots
- Daniel Whittenburg: 11 Goals-Against | 20 Saves | 31 Shots
The Falcons resume GNAC play on Tuesday, April 9 with a home contest against Johnson & Wales. Face-off is set for 7:00PM at Celentano Field.