Nashua, N.H. - Senior James May (Branford, Conn.) and freshman Terrell Yarbrough (New Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's lacrosse team scored a team-high two goals each, but the Falcons fell on the road to Rivier University by a score of 26-5 on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at Raider Field.
FINAL: Rivier 26 | Albertus Magnus 5
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-7, 1-5) | Rivier (8-3, 3-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rivier opened the conference showdown with a five-goal advantage, 5-0, behind a pair of goals from Dylan McSparren and Rob Fullerton. At the 3:50 mark, junior Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) snapped the scoreless drought for the Falcons with his seventh of the season and cut the deficit to four, 5-1.
Two minutes into the second, Albertus found themselves trailing Rivier 7-1. Yarbrough's first goal of the game came at the 13:20 mark and closed the gap to 7-2, although the Raiders ended the half with a 10-1 scoring run to take a 17-3 advantage into halftime. The Falcons lone goal during the run was from May with less than 30 seconds remaining in the stanza.
Rivier did not slow down in the second half as the Raiders outscored Albertus 9-2 to secure the home win, 26-5. Yarbrough and May scored both of their goals in the third quarter.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) (L, 2-7): 26 Goals-Against | 23 Saves | 49 Shots
- Matt Cloutman (W, 8-3): 5 Goals-Against | 11 Saves | 16 Shots
- Jake DeStefano: 2 Goals-Against | 4 Saves | 6 Shots
- Ben Pitzpatrick: 0 Goals-Against | 3 Saves | 3 Shots
- Senior Kaj Djonne (Newtown, Conn.) led the defensive unit with three caused turnovers as well as scooped up two ground balls and tallied an assist.
- Freshman Andrew Luzzi (East Haven, Conn.) collected a team-high eight ground balls and was 10-for-32 in the face-off circle.
- Along with his goal and assist, Magnifico posted seven ground balls and a caused turnover.
- Fullerton and Colby Larsen led the offensive attack with five goals each while Larsen added three assists to his stat line.
- Travis Gusikoff finished 22-for-32 in the face-off circle.
- Corey Hicks caused a team-high six turnovers.
- Both Dylan McSparren and Nick Wolfrom recorded a hat trick in the Raiders' home win.
Albertus returns home on Wednesday, April 17th with a non-conference tilt against Mass Maritime. Game time is set for 7PM at Celentano Field.