Last Week: The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team went 1-1 in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play last week, falling on the road to Rivier, 2-0, before blanking Johnson & Wales, 1-0, over the weekend. Albertus Magnus enters the eighth week of the season with an 8-5-1 overall record and a 3-3-1 mark in conference contests. In the win at JWU, goalkeeper Joe Russo made six saves to record his fourth shutout of the fall and senior midfielder Matt Mueller scored the game-winning goal early in the second half.
This Week: Albertus Magnus hits the road to face Anna Maria in conference action before hosting Norwich on Saturday during the College's 20th Annual Fall Fest weekend. At home this year, the Falcons are 5-2-1 and AMC has posted a 3-3 mark on the road.
Albertus Magnus (8-5-1, 3-3-1 GNAC) at Anna Maria (2-10-1, 1-5-1 GNAC)
Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM
Live Stats: Click here (All links will become active at the start of the contest)
Live Video: Click here
Last Fall Against the AMCATS: Albertus Magnus scored a 1-0 win versus Anna Mara in New Haven last September. Justyn Broderick scored the game-winning goal for the Falcons late in regulation. In the 83rd minute, Broderick collected the ball just outside the top right of the box, beat an Anna Maria defender with a deke and finished in the upper 90 to break a 0-0 tie.
Albertus Magnus vs. Norwich (7-4-3, 4-0-3)
Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 4:00 pm
New Haven, Conn.
Live Stats: Click here
Live Video: Click here
Last Year Versus the Cadets: Norwich netted a 1-0 triumph at home against Albertus Magnus last October. The difference in the contest was a strike from Christian Albrecht in the 26th minute of play. In net, Russo turned aside five shots in a losing effort for the Falcons and Alexis Garcia-Romero took a team-high three shots on goal for the guests.
- Senior midfielder Matt Mueller scored the game-winning goal for the Falcons in a 1-0 victory against Johnson & Wales last week. Mueller's strike was his fifth of the fall for Albertus Magnus and his second game-winning marker in 2016. The tally came early in the second half off a feed from freshman Brayan Lucero.
- Justyn Broderick is enjoying a successful fall campaign, as he leads the team in goals (6), assists (5), points (17) shots (39), shots on goal (20) and game-winning goals (3). Mueller's five goals matches his career-high which was set last autumn.
- Alex Zapata has had a record-breaking year for AMC, registering 10 points thanks to four goals and two assists. He currently ranks sixth in program history with 73 points, sixth in career goals with 27 and eighth in assists with 19.
- Russo racked up a .833 save percentage, five saves per game and a shutout for the Falcons last week. In a 2-0 setback against Rivier, he made four saves to open the week. Over the weekend, he turned aside all six shots he faced in a 1-0 win at Johnson & Wales. The clean sheet was his fourth of the season and the second in conference play. On the year, he is 8-5-1 with 61 saves, a .782 save percentage and a 1.24 goals-against average.
- Albertus Magnus is 6-3 in one-goal games this fall. Ten of the 14 Albertus Magnus games this season have been decided by one goal of fewer. In overtime, the Falcons are 2-0-1 in 2016.