New Haven, Conn. – Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) scored all three goals as the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team opened its season with a thrilling 3-2 victory over Nichols College on Saturday afternoon in non-conference play at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 3 | Nichols College 2
TEAM RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (1-0) | Nichols (1-0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Falcons scored a pair of goals in the first 16 minutes of the game and held onto the lead for the duration of play. Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) scored his first two goals of the game to put the hosts up 2-0 at the half.
Senior Paul Sickinger scored the first goal for the Bison on an assist from graduate student Ryan Banker at the 60:55 mark, bringing the score to within one, 2-1. However, Oumorou was able to find the loose ball and put it past the Bison goalkeeper, extending the hosts' lead to two, 3-1.
The Bison's final attempt was from junior Gregory Giglio who converted on a penalty kick in the 80th minute to cap the scoring.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Bison are 0-2-1 in the last 3 meetings with the Falcons and Albertus Magnus leads the all-time series at 4-2-1.
- Junior Patrick Porpora made three saves in the loss for the Bison while junior Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) stopped seven shots in the win.
- The Bison outshot the Falcons 21-13 for the game – including 11-6 in shots on goal.
- Nichols also held a 4-2 edge in corner kicks.
- The Falcons' defense totaled nine saves on the afternoon.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 6 at Westfield State. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Nichols returns home on Monday, Sept. 4 to host Becker at 4 p.m.