Albertus Magnus College
Men's Soccer Weekly Preview
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team looks to continue its winning ways as the team takes on Westfield State on Wednesday evening and opens up GNAC play on Saturday afternoon at Suffolk University.
WEEK ONE RECAP
GAME 1: Albertus Magnus 3 | Nichols 2 -RECAP / BOX SCORE
WEEK ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) scored all three goals as the men's soccer team defeated Nichols, 3-2.
- Junior Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) registered seven saves in the loss.
- Senior Justyn Broderick (Orange, Conn.) and sophomore Matt Cotto (Stratford, Conn.) tallied an assist a piece.
OUMOROU NAMED GNAC CORVIAS ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Corvias Rookie of the Week on Tuesday afternoon, as announced by the league office. In the Falcons' season opener, Oumorou scored all three goals to lead his team to a thrilling 3-2 win over Nichols on Saturday. He finished opening weekend with a team-high six points as well as registered seven shots and four shots on goal.
ALL-TIME VS. WESTFIELD STATE
Westfield State leads the all-time series over Albertus Magnus, 12-8-1.
LAST YEAR VS. WESTFIELD STATE
GAME (9/7/16): Albertus Magnus 3 | Westfield State 2 – RECAP/BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS. SUFFOLK
Albertus Magnus leads Suffolk in the all-time series 14-8-1.
THIS YEAR NOTES
- Albertus Magnus returns two All-GNAC player from last year's team.
- The Falcons welcome eight newcomers to the club in 2017.
- Albertus Magnus alum Brett Colavolpe is entering his first season as the new Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach after serving 10 years as an assistant coach for the program.
- The team returns 12 players from last year's squad.
GNAC MEN'S SOCCER PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
A QUICK LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR
- The team finished the year with a 9-8-1 overall record and earned the No. 5 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to posting a 4-4-1 mark in league play.
- The Falcons saw their season come to an end with a 2-0 setback on the road against No. 4 seed Suffolk in the opening round of the GNAC Tournament.
- It was the team's 21st appearance in the postseason event with Albertus Magnus holding a 16-18-4 overall record and a pair of conference titles (1996 & 2012).
- Following the campaign, Albertus Magnus saw an impressive six players named to the All-GNAC teams.
- Albertus Magnus went 2-1 in non-conference play to begin the season, winning back-to-back games after dropping the season opener versus soon-to-be conference foe Regis.
BERNARDO STEPS DOWN AS HEAD COACH
Director of Athletics Jim Abromaitis accepted the resignation of Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach Jim Bernardo, as he looks to spend more time with his family. After becoming the program's second head coach in the summer of 2005, Bernardo was an instrumental role in the rise of Albertus Magnus soccer, where he posted a 125-94-11 overall record and a 60-41-8 mark in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
The two time GNAC Coach of the Year guided his teams to 12 straight GNAC postseason appearances as well as the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2012. In 2011, Bernardo led his team to a perfect 10-0 record in conference play and finished the season with a 17-4-1 overall record to mark the most single-season wins in program history.
The Falcons return to action next week against Hunter and Regis (Mass.).