Posted: Sep 09, 2017
East Boston, Mass. - Junior Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) collected a career-high 13 saves to lead the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team to a 2-1 road victory over Suffolk University on Saturday evening at James A. Sartori Stadium.
FINAL SCORE: Albertus Magnus 2 | Suffolk 1
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (2-1-0, 1-0-0) | Suffolk (2-2-0, 0-2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first half, Albertus Magnus took a 1-0 lead in the 49th minute of play thanks to an own goal by the hosts following a blocked shot from Matt Cotto (Stratford, Conn.).
Nineteen minutes later, Suffolk's Christian Restrepo had the oppportunity to net the equalizer for the host with a penalty kick, but junior Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) made a fantastic dive to extend his save count to 10.
With less than 15 minutes remaining in regulation, Oumorou who would find the back of the net for fourth goal of the season off a nice give-and-go from junior transfer Tyler Saad (Shelton, Conn.).
Suffolk would cut the Falcons' lead in half 2-1, following a goal from Restrepo, but the visitors would come up on top, 2-1, in their conference opener.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Suffolk outshot Albertus Magnus 31-13 - including a 14-7 edge in shots on goal.
- Oumorou led the team with three shots on goal while junior Kaj Djonne (Sandy Hook, Conn.) collected two.
- The Rams held a 16-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Kyle Van Cleef made a total of five saves in net for the Rams.
- Russo improves to 2-1 on the season.
- Against this Rams' offense, Russo made a career-high 13 saves in net.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Hunter and Regis (Mass.). Suffolk's only game this week is against Mount Ida on Saturday, Sept. 16.