New Haven, Conn. - Despite a hat trick from freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team fell short in overtime, 4-3, against GNAC newcomer Regis (Mass.) on Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Regis (Mass.) 4 | Albertus Magnus 3
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2, 1-1) Regis (Mass.) (4-1, 2-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The match started off with an intense stretch featuring three goals in less than four minutes of play. Regis (Mass.) midfielder Derek Triana scored the first tally of the game on an unassisted goal nine minutes into play. However, Oumorou responded back with his fifth goal of the season to tie the score at 1-1.
Regis (Mass.) would find themselves ahead 3-1 at halftime following an own goal by the hosts as well as a goal from Fabyanno Furbino at the 30th minute mark.
Oumorou would use a 90 second span to tie the game at 3-3, netting two goals in the 66th and 67th minutes of play, sending the game into overtime.
However, at the 95th minute, Furbino would stirke again for the second time to secure the road victory against the Falcons.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Regis (Mass.) edged the Falcons in shots 21-20 with Albertus holding the 14-12 shots on goal edge.
- The Pride also held the 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Regis Keeper Jesse Bonilla had a game-high 11 saves while the Falcons' keeper Joe Russo had eight saves in the loss.
- The fouls were 9-9 over the contest.
- Oumorou netted his second hat trick of the young season.
- Senior Justyn Broderick (Shelton, Conn.) paced the Falcons with a pair of assists to Oumorou.
The Falcons return to action next week against Mitchell, SUNY Purchase and Saint Joseph's of Maine. The Pride prepares for three games in the week ahead against Roger Williams, Mount Ida and Suffolk.