New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team came up short in double overtime, 2-1, against in-state foe Mitchell College on Tuesday evening at Celentano Field.
FINAL SCORE: Mitchell 2 | Albertus Magnus 1 (2OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-3, 2-1) | Mitchell (1-3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Five minutes into regulation, Mitchell capitalized on offense as junior Andrew Storton found the back of the net to give the visitors the early 1-0 edge.
The Falcons would battle the rest of the game outshooting their opponents 6-4 in the second half when Kervin Franco (East Haven, Conn.) found the back of the net in the 84th minute of play to force overtime.
The first overtime featured just a single shot that was turned away by Mitchell keeper Seth Strader, forcing another 10 minute period.
The second overtime continued the physical nature of the contest and resulted in a penalty kick for Mitchell with 3:43 remaining. Storton was able to find the back of the net scoring the game-winner and his second goal of the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Albertus Magnus keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) stopped four shots in the loss, while sophomore Seth Strader recorded three saves in the win.
- Both teams tallied 11 shots on the match.
- Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) recorded a team-high six shots, including two shots on goal.
- Mitchell held an 6-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Along with the two goals, Andrew Storton posted a team-high three shots.
- Mitchell held the foul advantage, 21-17.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Thursday, Sept. 21st against SUNY Purchase. Kick-off is set for 6 p.m. at Celentano Field.