Standish, Me. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team fell on the road to Saint Joseph's of Maine on Saturday afternoon in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) clash at the SJC Athletics Complex.
FINAL SCORE: Saint Joseph's of Maine 7 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus College (4-4-0, 1-2-0 GNAC) | Saint Joseph's College (6-0-1, 2-0-1 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Joseph's of Maine got on the board early as Trevor Lopes took a Noah Elmore pass and found the back of the net to give the host the early advantage. Just over three minutes later, at 28:22, Brett Mattos put the Monks up 2-0 with a PK strike before Jesse Ramirez netted his second goal of the season at the 30:27 mark to close out the first half scoring.
Like they did in the first half, Saint Joseph's of Maine struck quickly in the second half as Ryan Buonauto found the back of the net to extend the hosts lead to four, 4-0. The Monks would close out the game, tacking on three goals in a matter of six minutes to seal the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) recorded the Falcons only shot on goal.
- Saint Joseph's held considerable advantages in shots (31-3), shots on goal (19-1), and corner kicks (8-1) on the afternoon.
- Saint Joseph's of Maine Trevor Lopes, Brett Mattos and Mitchell Duncan tallied a goal and an assist apiece.
- Saint Joseph's featured a pair of netminders in the shutout performance, as junior Blake Mullen made one save in 71:02 minutes and freshman David Walbridge went untested in 18:58 minutes of relief duty.
- Albertus Magnus junior goalie Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) faced 19 shots with 12 stops in a losing effort.
- Along with Oumorou, senior Niko Ames (Sunderland, Mass.) and junior Luis Sandoval (Hamden, Conn.) recorded a shot each.
Albertus Magnus returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 27 as the Falcons take on Mount Ida. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.