Newton, Mass. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team fell to Mount Ida College in double overtime, 2-1, on Wednesday evening in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) battle at Alumni Field.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Ida 2 | Albertus Magnus 1 (OT)
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-5, 1-3) | Mount Ida (6-3, 3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first half, Mount Ida College broke the silence at the 49th minute mark as Jonathan Santos found the back of the net off a header to give the hosts the edge.
Albertus Magnus threatened the Mustangs with back-to-back shots from freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) and senior Tyler Saad (Shelton, Conn.) before senior Justyn Broderick (Orange, Conn.) scored his first goal of the season to send the game into overtime at the 72nd minute.
However, at the 108th minute of play, Juan Brenes would beat out the Falcon defenders and score to secure the home victory for the Mustangs.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Mount Ida outshot Albertus Magnus, 38-17, including a 15-6 edge in shots on goal.
- Falcons keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) falls to 4-5 on the year despite making 13 saves in net.
- Mount Ida goalkeeper Riley Ford made five save to pick up the win and improve to 6-3.
- The Mustangs held the advantage in corner kicks, 14-3.
- The foul count was Albertus Magnus 13, Mount Ida 17.
Albertus Magnus plays host to Anna Maria on Saturday, October 30 in a 3:30 PM GNAC affair. The Mustangs return to action this Saturday as well as they host Rivier Univeristy for a 7:00 PM GNAC contest.