Albertus Magnus College
Men's Soccer Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (5-5, 2-3)
Emmanuel (Mass.) (1-5-4, 1-1-2)
Wed., Oct. 4 • 7 p.m. • Boston, Mass.
Albertus Magnus (5-5, 2-3)
Lasell (2-9, 1-3)
Sat., Oct. 7 • 1 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team prepares for two crucial GNAC showdowns this week as the Falcons take on Emmanuel (Mass.) on Wednesday night before hosting Lasell on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. at Celentano Field.
WEEK FIVE RECAP
Game 8: Mt. Ida 2 | Albertus Magnus 1 (OT) – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game 8 Highlights:
- Senior Justyn Broderick (Orange, Conn.) scored his first goal of the season to send the game into overtime at the 72nd minute.
- Falcons keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) falls to 4-5 on the year despite making 13 saves in net.
Game 9: Albertus Magnus 4 | Anna Maria 0 –RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game 9 Highlights:
- Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) netted a career-high four goals as well as recorded a career-high eight points in the shutout for the Falcons.
- Oumorou would strike again in the 55th and 56th minute of play to net his third hat trick of the season. Freshman Jonathan Beaucejour (Wallingford, Conn.) would record his first collegiate assist on Oumorou's goal at the 55th minute.
- Falcons keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) stopped all three shots he faced to preserve the shut out win and move to 5-5 on the season.
ALL-TIME VS EMMANUEL (MASS.)
Albertus Magnus leads Emmanuel in the all-time series, 8-6-2.
LAST TIME VS EMMANUEL (MASS.)
Game (10/1/16): Albertus Magnus 3 | Emmanuel (Mass.) 0 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS LASELL
Lasell leads Albertus Magnus in the all-time series, 6-4-1.
LAST TIME VS LASELL
Game (9/17/16): Albertus Magnus 2 | Lasell 1 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
OUMOROU NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS MALE STUDENT- ATHLETE OF THE WEEK/GNAC CORVIAS ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) of the men's soccer team have been named as the Albertus Magnus College Male Student-Athlete of Week.
Oumorou, who was also named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Corvias Rookie of the Week, enjoyed another stellar game as the rookie recorded his third hat trick of the season and tallied a career-high eight points in the 4-0 win over Anna Maria on Saturday afternoon. The freshman scored three of his four goals within a five minute span in the second half. Prior to the win over the AMCATS, he also recorded a team-high four shots in the loss to Mount Ida.
FALCONS IN THE GNAC
- Salah Oumorou
- leads the conference in shots with 52.
- leads the conference with 11 goals.
- second in the conference in points with 22.
- Justyn Broderick
- third in the conference in assists with five.
- Joe Russo
- leads the conference in saves with 78.
- fifth in the conference with a .788 save percentage.
THIS YEAR NOTES
- Albertus Magnus returns two All-GNAC player from last year's team.
- The Falcons welcome eight newcomers to the club in 2017.
- Albertus Magnus alum Brett Colavolpe is entering his first season as the new Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach after serving 10 years as an assistant coach for the program.
- The team returns 12 players from last year's squad.
GNAC MEN'S SOCCER PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
A QUICK LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR
- The team finished the year with a 9-8-1 overall record and earned the No. 5 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to posting a 4-4-1 mark in league play.
- The Falcons saw their season come to an end with a 2-0 setback on the road against No. 4 seed Suffolk in the opening round of the GNAC Tournament.
- It was the team's 21st appearance in the postseason event with Albertus Magnus holding a 16-18-4 overall record and a pair of conference titles (1996 & 2012).
- Following the campaign, Albertus Magnus saw an impressive six players named to the All-GNAC teams.
- Albertus Magnus went 2-1 in non-conference play to begin the season, winning back-to-back games after dropping the season opener versus soon-to-be conference foe Regis.
BERNARDO STEPS DOWN AS HEAD COACH
Director of Athletics Jim Abromaitis accepted the resignation of Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach Jim Bernardo, as he looks to spend more time with his family. After becoming the program's second head coach in the summer of 2005, Bernardo was an instrumental role in the rise of Albertus Magnus soccer, where he posted a 125-94-11 overall record and a 60-41-8 mark in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
The two time GNAC Coach of the Year guided his teams to 12 straight GNAC postseason appearances as well as the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2012. In 2011, Bernardo led his team to a perfect 10-0 record in conference play and finished the season with a 17-4-1 overall record to mark the most single-season wins in program history.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Western Connecticut State University and Rivier University.