Albertus Magnus College
Men's Soccer Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (6-5-1, 3-3-1)
Western Conn. St. (7-6)
Tues., Oct. 10 • 7 p.m. • Danbury, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (6-5-1, 3-3-1)
Rivier (2-9-1, 0-5-1)
Sat., Oct. 14 • 6 p.m. • New Haven, Conn. • Homecoming
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team prepares for two games in the week ahead as the Falcons battle in-state rival Western Conn. St. Univ. on Tuesday before hosting Rivier University on Saturday evening at Celentano Field. Prior to the start of Saturday's game, the men's soccer team will be honoring its six-member senior class for their accomplishment on and off the field.
WEEK SIX RECAP
Game 10: Albertus Magnus 1 | Emmanuel 1 (OT) – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game 10 Highlights:
- With under two minutes remaining in regulation, Albertus Magnus, knotted the game at one, 1-1, as senior forward Ritchy Jean Pierre (Fairfield, Conn.) played the ball up to senior Justyn Broderick (Orange, Conn.) who converted his second marker of the fall.
- Albertus Magnus keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) registered seven saves.
Game 11: Albertus Magnus 4 | Lasell 2 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game 11 Highlights:
- The Falcons got on the board first as freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) scored his 12th goal of the season off a clean, crisp pass from Diogo Cruz (Naugatuck, Conn,) to give the hosts the early edge, 1-0.
- Albertus Magnus came out firing on all cylinders to start off the second half with Junior Tyler Saad (Shelton, Conn.) netting his first goal of the season.
- Oumorou and Saad would score again in the 66th minute and the 68th minute to end the match 4-2 over Lasell.
- Junior Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) improves to 6-5-1 on the year, making four saves for the Falcons.
ALL-TIME VS WESTERN CONN. ST
Western Conn. State leads Albertus Magnus in the all-time series, 11-6-3.
LAST TIME VS WESTERN CONN. ST.
Game (9/27/16): Albertus Magnus 2 | Western Conn. ST. 1 (2OT) –RECAP/ BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS RIVIER
Albertus Magnus leads Rivier in the all-time series, 17-5-3.
LAST TIME VS RIVIER
Game (10/10/16): Albertus Magnus 2 | Rivier 0 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
OUMOROU NAMED GNAC CORVIAS ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
For the third time this fall, freshman Salah Oumorou(West Haven, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was named the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Corvias Rookie of the Week on Monday afternoon. Oumorou tallied two goals and an assist for a total of five points in a 1-0-1 week for the Falcons. The rookie scored a pair of goals, including the eventual game-winner, and tallied his first collegiate assist in a 4-2 win over Lasell on Saturday.
INSIDE THE GNAC
- Salah Oumorou
- leads the conference in shots with 58.
- second in the conference with 13 goals.
- second in the conference in points with 27.
- Justyn Broderick
- tied in third in the conference in assists with six.
- Joe Russo
- tied in second in the conference in saves with 89.
- fifth in the conference with a .788 save percentage.
THIS YEAR NOTES
- Albertus Magnus returns two All-GNAC player from last year's team.
- The Falcons welcome eight newcomers to the club in 2017.
- Albertus Magnus alum Brett Colavolpe is entering his first season as the new Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach after serving 10 years as an assistant coach for the program.
- The team returns 12 players from last year's squad.
GNAC MEN'S SOCCER PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
A QUICK LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR
- The team finished the year with a 9-8-1 overall record and earned the No. 5 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to posting a 4-4-1 mark in league play.
- The Falcons saw their season come to an end with a 2-0 setback on the road against No. 4 seed Suffolk in the opening round of the GNAC Tournament.
- It was the team's 21st appearance in the postseason event with Albertus Magnus holding a 16-18-4 overall record and a pair of conference titles (1996 & 2012).
- Following the campaign, Albertus Magnus saw an impressive six players named to the All-GNAC teams.
- Albertus Magnus went 2-1 in non-conference play to begin the season, winning back-to-back games after dropping the season opener versus soon-to-be conference foe Regis.
BERNARDO STEPS DOWN AS HEAD COACH
Director of Athletics Jim Abromaitis accepted the resignation of Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach Jim Bernardo, as he looks to spend more time with his family. After becoming the program's second head coach in the summer of 2005, Bernardo was an instrumental role in the rise of Albertus Magnus soccer, where he posted a 125-94-11 overall record and a 60-41-8 mark in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
The two time GNAC Coach of the Year guided his teams to 12 straight GNAC postseason appearances as well as the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2012. In 2011, Bernardo led his team to a perfect 10-0 record in conference play and finished the season with a 17-4-1 overall record to mark the most single-season wins in program history.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Johnson & Wales and Norwich.