Danbury, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team fell on the road to in-state rival Western Connecticut State University, 4-0, on Tuesday evening at the Westside Athletic Complex.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (6-6-1) | Western Conn. St. (8-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Western Conn. jumped on the board first as Darion Richeme blasted a shot in the top-right corner of the goal to give the Colonials the 1-0 lead in the 29th minute of play. Shortly after, Harrison Allers netted his first collegiate goal, widening the gap to 2-0 heading into halftime.
The Colonials continued to control the momentum of the game as the hosts pushed their lead to three, 3-0, when Robert Della Penna connected on a give-and-go play in the 64th minute. Less than four minutes later, Sciortino knocked a header into the back of the net off a corner kick to round the count out at 4-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The hosts outshot the visitors, 20-2, including an 11-1 edge in shots on goal.
- WCSU racked up 10 corner kicks compared to just two for the Falcons.
- Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) and Diogo Cruz (Naugatuck, Conn.) recorded the only two shots for the visitors.
- Junior netminder Luca DiCarlo moved to 7-3 while turning aside one shot for the Colonials.
- Junior goalkeeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) fell to 6-6-1 while recording seven saves.
Albertus Magnus returns home to host Rivier University on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. on Homecoming. WCSU returns to action at non-league opponent John Jay on Thursday at 7 p.m.