New Haven, Conn. – Senior forward Matt Stoll (Shelton, Conn.) of the Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team connected for the game-winning goal in the 88th minute as the Falcons claimed a 2-1 win over Rivier University on Saturday evening at Celentano Field.
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (7-6-1, 4-3-1) | Rivier (2-11-1, 0-7-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first half, the Falcons got the scoring started in the 76th minute of play as freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) found the back of the net for his 14th marker of the season. A foul outside the box led to a free kick for the rookie, who was able to put the ball in the top left corner.
Rivier evened the score on a good goal for Pedro Lopez at the 80th minute of play. Lopez managed to dribble past a Falcon defender before placing the ball home in the upper right corner.
With 2:19 remaining in regulation, Stoll would secure the home win on Senior Night for the Falcons, scoring his first goal of the season, after finding the ball following a shot from Oumourou. The rookie would try to put the ball past the Raiders' keeper, but despite a save from Collin Deyarmin, Stoll was able to tip it in.
Junior keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) continued his strong play in net, turning aside two shots in the win, while Collin Deyarmin recorded a two-save performance to earn the loss.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons outshot the Raiders, 15-7, including a 4-3 edge in shots on goal.
- Rivier won the battle in corner kicks, 2-1.
- Along with his goal and assist, Oumorou recorded a team-high seven shots, while senior Ritchy Jean Pierre (Fairfield, Conn.) added three shots for the Falcons.
- Harley Kearney paced the Raiders offense with two shots.
- Rivier recorded eight fouls, compared the Falcons seven.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Johnson & Wales and Norwich. Rivier will face Regis (Mass.) and Anna Mara in the week ahead.