Albertus Magnus College
Men's Soccer Weekly Preview
Albertus Magnus (7-6-1, 4-3-1)
Johnson & Wales (12-1-1, 6-1-1)
Wed., Oct. 18 • 7 p.m. • New Haven, Conn.
Albertus Magnus (7-6-1, 4-3-1)
Norwich (7-3-4, 5-0-3)
Sat., Oct. 21 • 7:30 p.m. • Northfield, Vt.
A NEW WEEK
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team closes out GNAC play this week with a pair of conference tilts against Johnson & Wales and Norwich University. The Falcons host the Wildcats Wednesday evening at Celentano Field before traveling north on Saturday to face the Cadets.
WEEK SEVEN RECAP
Game 13: Western Conn. St. 4 | Albertus Magnus 0 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game 13 Highlights:
- Junior goalkeeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) fell to 6-6-1 while recording seven saves.
- Freshman Salah Oumorou (West Haven, Conn.) and Diogo Cruz (Naugatuck, Conn.) recorded the only two shots for the visitors.
Game 14: Albertus Magnus 2 | Rivier 1 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
Game 14 Highlights:
- With 2:19 remaining in regulation, Matt Stoll (Shelton, Conn.) would secure the home win on Senior Night for the Falcons, scoring his first goal of the season, after finding the ball following a shot from Salah Oumourou (West Haven, Conn.).
- Junior keeper Joe Russo (North Haven, Conn.) continued his strong play in net, turning aside two shots in the win.
ALL-TIME VS JOHNSON & WALES
Johnson & Wales leads Albertus Magnus in the all-time series, 13-11-2.
LAST TIME VS JOHNSON & WALES
Game (10/15/16): Albertus Magnus 1 | Johnson & Wales 0 –RECAP/ BOX SCORE
ALL-TIME VS NORWICH
Norwich holds a 12-9-4 edge over Albertus Magnus in the all-time series.
LAST TIME VS NORWICH
Game (10/22/16): Norwich 1 | Albertus Magnus 0 – RECAP/ BOX SCORE
STOLL NAMED ALBERTUS MAGNUS MALE STUDENT-ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Stoll helped the Falcons win their seventh game of the year this past Saturday by registered the game-winning goal to defeat Rivier, 2-1. Stoll's marker was his first tally of the year.
GNAC STANDINGS (as of 10/18)
|Saint Joseph's (Me.)||8-0-1||13-0-1|
|Johnson & Wales (RI)||6-1-1||12-1-1|
**the top eight school will advance to the GNAC Championship beginning Oct. 29th
INSIDE THE GNAC
- Salah Oumorou
- leads the conference in shots with 66.
- second in the conference with 14 goals.
- second in the conference in points with 30.
- Justyn Broderick
- fifth in the conference in assists with six.
- Joe Russo
- fourth in the conference in saves with 89.
THIS YEAR NOTES
- Albertus Magnus returns two All-GNAC player from last year's team.
- The Falcons welcome eight newcomers to the club in 2017.
- Albertus Magnus alum Brett Colavolpe is entering his first season as the new Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach after serving 10 years as an assistant coach for the program.
- The team returns 12 players from last year's squad.
GNAC MEN'S SOCCER PRESEASON POLL
LINK: Complete Release
The Albertus Magnus College men's soccer team was picked to finish fifth in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Preseason Coaches' Poll.
A QUICK LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR
- The team finished the year with a 9-8-1 overall record and earned the No. 5 seed in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Tournament thanks to posting a 4-4-1 mark in league play.
- The Falcons saw their season come to an end with a 2-0 setback on the road against No. 4 seed Suffolk in the opening round of the GNAC Tournament.
- It was the team's 21st appearance in the postseason event with Albertus Magnus holding a 16-18-4 overall record and a pair of conference titles (1996 & 2012).
- Following the campaign, Albertus Magnus saw an impressive six players named to the All-GNAC teams.
- Albertus Magnus went 2-1 in non-conference play to begin the season, winning back-to-back games after dropping the season opener versus soon-to-be conference foe Regis.
BERNARDO STEPS DOWN AS HEAD COACH
Director of Athletics Jim Abromaitis accepted the resignation of Albertus Magnus head men's soccer coach Jim Bernardo, as he looks to spend more time with his family. After becoming the program's second head coach in the summer of 2005, Bernardo was an instrumental role in the rise of Albertus Magnus soccer, where he posted a 125-94-11 overall record and a 60-41-8 mark in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
The two time GNAC Coach of the Year guided his teams to 12 straight GNAC postseason appearances as well as the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2012. In 2011, Bernardo led his team to a perfect 10-0 record in conference play and finished the season with a 17-4-1 overall record to mark the most single-season wins in program history.
Albertus Magnus returns to action next week against Brooklyn (N.Y.) on Monday, Oct. 23rd at 4 p.m.